1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap expedient suppressed handgun holster

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    View attachment 228969

Nothing more than a cheap surplus store Camelbak hydration bag carrier. Got it for under $5.

There are various versions of these. This one is a later model that has extra D rings on it. Some of the earlier ones are more rectangular but lack the extra D rings. This one also has an extra pocket on the back.

The pic shows my Buckmark 5.5" Field on it, with my AAC Aviator suppressor. Length of the suppressor and barrel is just under 12". Total length of the handgun is just under 16". There is enough room for almost any optics.

The bag needs to me modified. There are three snaps on the flap that have exposed metal inside. I'll cover those with cloth tape to prevent scratching the finish on the gun. Might put a foam block inside cut to fit to keep the barrel and suppressor from shifting around.

Probably won't carry it like a backpack. The D-rings made it easy to put a lop on it and carry it like a 2-qt canteen. Might cut the straps off if that works out the best.

Not the fastest flap for getting the gun out. But it's not a true holster.

And yes, I know Battlecloth makes custom holsters for suppressed handguns. They cost substantially more. Like I said, this one is expedient. I'm not sure yet what optic is going on it, so I'll hold off on a custom holster until then.

BTW, wouldn't surprise me if this setup worked for a Thompson Contender. I don't have one to check, though.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nice find, you stole that for under $5. The cheapest i can find that model is about $30 delivered. I wouldn't mind having one for my 14" barreled Contender. Its a pretty good sized gun with the scope and all. I had a nylon holster for my T/C but its quite cumbersome to wear. My T/C with 14" barrel ans cope is 18" long and 7" high.
    grntitan_2009_2503203.jpg

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Your Contender setup is just a little too large. The opening is 7", but that's totally flat. I doubt anything taller than 6" will fit into it. And the longest length possible is perhaps 17" at best. My setup is getting pretty snug for length.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.