1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Charter Arms Southpaw

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coveybuster, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Has anyone had any experience with these guns?

My niece is graduating from college in a couple months, and I am going to buy her a pistol for graduation. I bought her an 870LH Wingmaster for High School graduation so I want to stay consistent with the firearm presents!

My wife, also a lefty, shoots a 2" SP101 and tells me the whole right hand vs left hand isn't a big deal. The niece has shot several guns, in different calibers and prefers the small revolvers like wifey's SP101.

This would be a weekend "bang around in the woods" and home protection gun for her. My main concern is how "comfy" will a 12oz gun be to shoot for a small / medium frame "little girl"? Wifey can shoot .38 wadcutters all day long, out of the SP101, but it weighs twice as much.
  2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA
    Nice uncle she's got...

I too am a southpaw and I have found that most pistols (read autos) work better for us than for right handers.

Hold a pistol in your left hand and see how easy it is to hit the mag release with you left index finger... Add an ambi-safety and you are good to go.

With a little practice the slide release is hit with the left index finger.

You need never give up control of the pistol to operate it's secondary functions.

Sam Colt was left handed too, and if you look at his pistol's loading gates the reasoning becomes obvious.

All that being said, I would take her pistol shooting (don't give away the surprise) and see how she handles revolvers versus autos - make the decision once you know what she likes/dislikes and why.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.