1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Charlie Daniels to play at WSRC,Aug.6th

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ill. Rich, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ill. Rich

Ill. Rich TS Member

I just read in the paper that the Charlie Danirels Band is scheduled to play at the World Shooting & Recreational Complex Monday, August 6th, the first day of the Grand American. I double checked on his web sire and Sparta is on his tour schedule for Aug. 6th.

2. Don S

Don S Member

FYI

Charlie Daniels
    appearing at complex

One of the legends of southern rock and country music, the Charlie Daniels Band, is slated to perform at the World Shooting and Recreation Complex at Sparta on Monday, Aug. 6.

The event will take place during the Amateur Trapshooting Association's Grand American.

Although no show times or ticket prices have been made available, the date is confirmed on the band's website.

Daniels, a singer, guitarist and fiddler, began writing and performing in the 1950's. In 1964, Daniels co-wrote "It Hurts Me," a song which Elvis Presley recorded. He worked as a Nashville session musician, often for producer Bob Johnston, including playing on three Bob Dylan albums during 1969 and 1970, as well as on recordings by Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen. Daniels recorded his first solo album, "Charlie Daniels," in 1971. His first hit, the novelty song "Uneasy Rider," was from his 1972 second album, "Honey in the Rock," and reached #9 on the Billboard Hot 100.

In 1974, Daniels organized the first in a series of Volunteer Jam concerts based in or around Nashville, Tenn. Except for a three-year gap in the late 1980's, these jams have continued ever since.

In 1975, he had a top 30 hit as leader of the Charlie Daniels Band with the Southern Rock self-identification anthem "The South's Gonna Do It Again." "Long Haired Country Boy" was also a minor hit in that year.

Daniels won the Grammy Award for Best Country Vocal Performance in 1979 for "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," which reached #3 on the charts.

Subsequent Daniels pop hits included "In America" (#11 in 1980), "The Legend of Wooley Swamp" (#31 in 1980) and "Still in Saigon" (#22 in 1982).

In the late 1980's and 1990's, several of Daniels' albums and singles were hits on the Country charts. Daniels also released several Gospel and Christian records.

Daniels has never shied away from politics. "The South's Gonna Do It" had a mild message of Southern cultural identity within the Southern rock movement. Daniels was an early supporter of Jimmy Carter's presidential bid and performed at his January 1977 inauguration.

"In America" was a reaction to the 1979-81 Iran Hostage Crisis; it described a patriotic, united America where "we'll all stick together and you can take that to the bank / That's the cowboys and the hippies and the rebels and the Yanks." In contrast, "Still in Saigon" (written by Dan Daley) was a portrayal of the plight of the American Vietnam veteran ten years after the war.

In 1990, Daniels' country hit "Simple Man" seemingly advocated a pseudo-Biblical form of vigilantism; lines such as "Just take them [rapists, killers, child abusers] out in the swamp / Put 'em on their knees and tie 'em to a stump / Let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest," got Daniels considerable media attention and talk show visits.

In 2003, Daniels published an "Open Letter to the Hollywood Bunch" in defense of President George W. Bush's Iraq policy. His 2003 book, "Ain't No Rag: Freedom, Family, and the Flag," contains this letter as well as many other personal statements. During the 2004 presidential campaign, Daniels said that having never served in the military himself, he did not have the right to criticize John Kerry's service record.

Daniels now resides in Mount Juliet, Tenn., where the city has named a park after him.

Daniels is a born again Christian.

In 2005, he made a cameo appearance along with Larry the Cable Guy, Kid Rock and Hank Williams, Jr., in Gretchen Wilson's music video for the song "All Jacked Up."

Details of the Sparta show are expected to be announced in the near future.

Calls to Daniels' management office in Nashville resulted in no further information, except for confirmation of the performer and his band's schedule of a performance for that date at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex.

3. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

The above will take you to ths Sparta News Plaindealer which posted the above story

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been to a CDB concert and its worth the money and time to see it, but I lucked out ... I actually got paid to see it being as I was working security for the concert, so that made it even better ... Papa John Creech used to play fiddle in his band and has since passed on ... "Great Show and Great Showman" but a very humble man in reality ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

HOW NICE of them to come and play for my birthday!! That is great news!

Lorna :eek:)

6. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Here's the web site. Check out the Soap Box section. Whole lot of common sense there! CD puts on a great show ans has for years. One of the good guys.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

This'll be the biggest thing to hit the Grand since John Philip Sousa! (Hope Charlie brings his nurses.)

8. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I have seen them multiple times. Good show. I have never paid to see them. Makes it even better!!!

Forrest

9. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

Thats great news, Charlie Daniels is a real American and always has waved the flag not just when its popular. I just hope just for the sake of diversity they don't invite Iggy Pop or some other gay punk rock group to please Tron and his buds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.