1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

charles daly miruku o/u shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roanybalony, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roanybalony

roanybalony TS Member

I have a charles daly 12 guage o/u shotgun made in late 60-early 70's. This is a very fine beginner shotgun. No body seems to like these guns even though it's the same maker as the Browning. Some of the older brownings seem to be copied from the Daly. I have heard that the guns have flat springs that occasionally cause problems. Surely there is more to it than that. Just trying to figure out what the problems are. Any body out there got any info or reasons? Help Bob

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

They had a reputation for being real kickers (recoil). Mike.

3. chemist

chemist Member

owned two of them and Mike is right- person that I sold it too was not happy. added a gracoil and that helped. one just on here for 650 and sold. Mine never broke on me.

rich k- chemist

4. notarget

notarget TS Member

They were highly regarded by my fellow shooters in the late '60s and early '70s. It was my understanding that they were copied from the Brownings of that time. The Ithaca SKB's were also popular at our club.

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Bob, I bought a used one some years ago that had been sent to Simmons and had a taller rib installed. I use it to shoot doubles even though I have a Perazzi O/U. I have shot thousands of rounds through the gun without a problem. Yes, it does have a little more recoil than I'd like, but I still shoot it better than the Perrazzi. Mine has coil springs. Some of them did I guess.

I believe I would have purchased the one that just sold on here for 650 dollars if, I believe Teeter hadn't seen it before I did. As far as I'm concerned, they're one of the best guns for the money out there for some people.

Not everyone dislikes them.

Steve Elliott

6. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Yes I bought the one on here for the $650. Ive shot alot of them through the years. They are a well built gun for the money. I started shooting doubles with one at the grand. Broke a 99 lost last target. Dont know why I ever sold it. Best doubles score I ever broke was with the daly and Ive had a few high dollar doubles gun. Ive never had a break down with a daly and as far as I know some guy in west V I think has a boat load of parts for them.
    Chris Teeters

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

We used to buy them for $137.00 on Okinawa in 1966. They had the flat springs and came with a bag of spare springs. Ron

8. roanybalony

roanybalony TS Member

Trapshooteraa27aa, I live in WV, wonder who the person is that has parts? I really don't need any, just like to have a contact name. I really plan on selling the gun sometime, gettin to old & slow for the trap game, better suited for plinking beer cans (empty ones, but they tend to jump the bullet. I really appreciate all the feed back & comments. Bob

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Re: Daly parts and repair:
    B&C Gunsmithing, Lake Havasu, Arizona
    Phone: 928/854-8209
    Web Sight: bmcgunsupplies@npgcable.com

Daly's are very under rated in terms of quality, fit, finnish and metal work they are on par with Browning's out of their FN plant, they are great guns.

Surfer

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

http://jnpgunsprings.com
    They have Daly springs. Jeff

11. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I recently bought a 1975 Browning Citori on here that Dean at Skeet's Gun Shop tells me came from the same factory as the Charles Dalys. The gun shoots great and I don't notice any more recoil than any of my newer Brownings. Jack

12. smokinold32

smokinold32 Member

I stil have a Daly single flat-top. I shoot it now and then. Some of the best scores I ever shot were with a Daly. You can really smoke targets with them. I talked with them 2 years ago and they told me they were going to make an over and under trap model, next think you know they are out of business Again ! For the money they were a buy to shoot 16 yd. trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.