1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Charles Daly jamming question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

One of the kids on my team bought a new 20 gauge CD semi auto last year, it has been plauged with a re occuring problem, when you drop a shell in and push the button to chamber it the operating handle will not always go forward enough to let the gun fire, the bolt closes and puts the shell in fine but sometimes you have to push the handle forwards with great pressure to make it fire, the gun has been taken apart several times and is oiled and clean as a whistle but still continues to malfunction.. we are shooting factory shells.. any ideas? thanks!

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

How much has it been shot?

If its brand new and hasn't been shot very much yet, try running 100 rounds of really heavy/high velocity a$$ whuppin' pheasant loads through it to "loosen it up."

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Probably by now it has had about 1500 rounds through it. thanks!

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

New shells or reloaded without being resized?

ss

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The shells are brand new.. thanks!

6. Dandy4266

Dandy4266 TS Member

I have a CD 12 ga. semi-auto that will not fire if the replacement "O" ring under the barrel is thicker than the original. I assume the headspace has been changed and the firing pin does not hit with full force.

Dan Moore

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

That's probably why Daley recently went out of business.

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

As far as I know there never was a Charles Daly company, it is a name that has been bought and sold numerous times over the years and put on firearms of one form or another by some hardware/firearms company.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I think you are best off getting rid of that gun. Trade it in for something else. In my opinion, there is simply no fixing it.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Possibly the chamber is undersized...also if the factory shells you are using are the Wally World Winchesters, the steel heads on these shells are hanging up in the chamber...seen this before. First step - have a gunsmith check the chamber dimensions. Before that, you may try some 1st class shells like Remington Premier STS loads. Good luck. Ed

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

What is the normal I.D. of the chamber? I will check it this evening. thanks!

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Look at the underside of the bolt through the magazine opening towards upper right front side nearest the face,there is a small pin hole',is there a bent pin hanging partially out??...one of their issues was if the gun was dry fired or the bolt slammed that the extractor retaining pin would drop partially out preventing the bolt from going fully closed...let me know if thats what you find

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

blkcloud

According to the diagram I have, a normal 20 gauge chamber should taper from 0.699 inch right at the breech face to 0.685 inch right before the forcing cone starts.

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

thanks!

15. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Had a friend with the same problem. His was caused by debris getting into the action while carrying it thru the woods hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.