1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Charity Trap Shoot in a Small Town

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rdf59, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Background
    Our local, new Sheriff has asked our Gun Club to participate and coordinate a Trap Shooting Event this summer to help raise funds for the Georgia Sheriff's Youth Ranch Program.

Our club has 520 members, with about 20 being dedicated trap shooters. The Trap guys get one morning/early afternoon a week (Wednesday) to shoot using our mobile trap machine. Our shooters do very well in the regional shoots and various state shoots (quite a few trophys, belt buckles, $, etc.), so they (not me) are accomplished shooters.

I will be the coordinator from our club to work with the Sheriff and his staff. I will also have about 7 volunteers as committee people.

Our market area for people to come to the shoot is comprised of 5 counties with the smallest at 8,000 people and the largest at about 14,000. Its a sparse population area in the mountains. We will have one trap and all day to have the event. We have not determined the day --- Wed or Sat seem to be the prime choices at this moment.

The Sheriff and some club members will be going the usual route for sponsor/participants --- car dealers, bankers, churches --- all those groups who now have no money due to the recession.

My Questions:

1. If you have had experience in running charitable trap shoots in country (small population) areas, would you mind making some comments on your experience and provide suggestions.

2. Do you have some marketing thoughts?

3. Do you have fun event ideas --- for people who will have not shot before. What type of charges -- payouts -- rewards??

4. Anything you care to say about it.

I just met the Sheriff tonight and we will be having lunch early next week. The purpose is to listen to his objectives and thoughts. I have pretty fair experience in organizing many types of events for business and a few charitable situations. So I am no rookie.

I would appreciate input from you all on the above questions.

Thanks for any input.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Do simple games -- pay out alot of small cash prizes instead of one bigger prize (more happy people) . It,s Very important alot of people win something and have fun . ( They will keep shooting) You will have alot of new shooters so have club members do the safety thing .

Good Luck ALF

3. rdf59

rdf59 Member

4. rdf59

rdf59 Member

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Why not have all fees be a donation to the cause or at least part of the fees. Make it a family day with hot dogs, burgers, etc, subsidised at least in part by the club, perhaps a "bring a covered dish" from home. Food is a great magnet these days. Have miss & out contests, parent & child shoots, offer to teach the novices the basics so they can enjoy the fun also.

Make sure all who participate get some type of award especially the youngsters. See what you can do to get some coverage in your local paper before the event.

Eric

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you have an email

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.