1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

charge bars vs bushings

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 6ft lead, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6ft lead

6ft lead TS Member

still needing some feedback. what do you do for powder weights that are .3 .4 .7
    and so on? i do not list any bushings for me mec loaders to achieve .4grains of
    lets say e3. can i get the accuracy of a bushing with a universal charge bar and powder baffle? any response would be great.
    stephen.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Your question is not exactly clear to me but if you're asking whether or not you can get powder drops adjusted to some decimal point between full grains - then yes, an adjustable (universal) bar DOES permit you to customize the powder (and shot) drops to very small fractions of full grains. Accuracy? Well, perhaps if you're shooting for 17.3 grains of a certain powder, my experience with the most consistent powders is that you will see random drops of 17.2 to 17.4 and an occasional drop perhaps another .1 of a grain high or low - so yes, within 1 to 2 tenths of a grain from your target. The consistency of your operating the loader will affect drops at least that much alone. Will any of that make a difference? No, not one whit!.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob is exactly correct. Hydraulic presses give the most consistent powder drops and they will vary 0.2 grains, sometimes a little more.

You can also make a bushing larger with a rat tail file or make it smaller with fingernail polish. If you ever borrow one of my bushings, you better check it with a scale. I keep a file and fingernail polish in the same drawer I keep my bushings in.

Pat Ireland

4. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

A couple of years ago I purchased a universal charge bar but couldn't find a number for a light load of Clays for 1 oz, 1125 fps. The multiscale chart shows from 18 thru 20 grains for Clays loads. I called Multiscale to ask about the discrepancy and was told by a tech that you shouldn't load outside the recommended weights shown because of erratic weights. I have no idea if this is true but went back to bushings and take the closest over the weight I'm looking for. BD and Pat are correct, you ain't gonna tell the difference! HarryC

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I use both Uni bar and OEM. when looking for bushing go up or down a bushing size thats close to what you want. I sold a ton of bushings last year that I was not useing. I now have about 4 loaders that I could use those for.

6. IM390

IM390 Member

The recipes are for maximum with the specifics listed for each load. It may be unwise to load to the exact tenth of a grain. An old rule of thumb is to load 10% under max or about a grain or so for safety. A universal bar will match an exact load when confirmed with a powder scale, however, humidity, tempature and vibration from the reloader may also prevent you from establising a consistent maximum load, day to day.

7. PODO

PODO TS Member

I have had different lots of the same brand powder drop more or less then the previous lot. You need to verify the drop weight with every new cannister - TOM

8. 6ft lead

6ft lead TS Member

HEY GUYS THANKS A BUNCH FOR THE GREAT INSIGHT ON THE CHARGE BARS. I'M NEW TO THE TS.COM AND REALLY APPRICIATE THE INTEGRITY OF ALL WHO GAVE ADVICE.IT'S NICE TO KNOW TRAPSHOOTERS HAVE NOT FALLEN ONTO THE X-TREAM BANDWAGON AND DISGRACED OUR SPORT LIKE MOST OTHER SPORTS HAVE.
    THANKS FELLAS
    STEPHEN OSENTOWSKI

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I find that a reliable way to customize my P-W bushings is with aluminum (not silver plastic) HVAC tape (any home center), the kind used to assemble fiberglass air ducts. A strip of tape attached to the inside of the next larger size bushing is a precise and durable way to reduce its volume by as much as is desired.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.