1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Charge Bar Troubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a MEC 600jr. that i have been using an adjustable bar with. I just bought a bushing bar for 1 1/8 loads. My question is i keep getting drops of 1.065 on my scale when it should be 1.125. Correct??? I'm using #8 shot and its got me stumped. The bar is marked 302 for single stage and 118 for 1 1/8. Right????----Matt

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Make the hole bigger. HMB

3. grntitan

Pat---Thats what i thought i was gonna have to do. What happens when i go to chilled shot again? Is it gonna drop way too much or will it be with-in limits of the shell capacity? I have a Dremel and i'm a pro with it(its my favorite do-it-all tool).----Matt

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You are loading a 1-1/16 oz. load, about 30 pellets shy of 1-1/8. Take some out and pattern them, you might be surprised of how well it patterns with the other components your using. Wayne

5. grntitan

So you guys are saying that with the same wad ,primer and powder amount it might be as good or better even being 20 to 30 pellets shy? That might be but won't the crimp be sunken in being light?----Matt

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had a insomnia attack thursday night. I was loading some once loads on a mec 9000 with a fixed bar. The crimps where good and the loader loaded great. I broke out my digital scale just to take a few powder drops. 17.4 on average with a #32 bushing useing clays. Then I weighed the shot drop. MY GOD it was light!!!! .90ish. So then I did what P3AT mentioned above. I counted how many pellets it took to get it up to 1oz. Out of the 10 I did I got an average of 28 pellets. I was useing Westcoast magnum shot. Tonight If I cant sleep again I will try it with the puru STAR import stuff. I wouldnt sweat it. Hows your crimps.........

7. grntitan

maclellan1911---I haven't actually loaded any yet. I was just fart'n around and thought i'd see what kinda drops my new bar was gonna give me. I will probably try 'em out tomorrow and see. I really wanted to see what the experts thought i should do first. Right now i'm getting mixed answers. I guess i'm either gonna go with them as is or grind it out. I'm leaning towards boring it out. I can always buy another bar for chilled shot.----Matt

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Matt why dont you just switch back to adjustable bar? I may have some extra bars for you 2 destroy. They are both fixed powder and shot? I also have a universal bar that takes powder bushings and adjustable for shot for 600 loaders

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Magnum shot will usually be light by volume. If you worry about the crimp, don't. It's the volume that takes up room in the hull and not the weight. You would probably be a bit heavy if you opened it up for magnum shot and then went back to softer shot. Shot can vary in size and density, even with the same brand. The bars are usually calibrated for soft shot, which is usually denser. That way if you are light, the pressures won't be an issue. If you were to be on the heavy side, it could create some higher pressures and illegal loads for ATA and other events. There are Skeet bars also. They are designed for the smaller sized shot. The adjustable bars allow you to correct for the normal variations in shot and powder. You've just learned one the first lessons of reloading safety. Use a good scale and double check everything!

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Most reloaders pay close attention to the weight of the powder but pay little attention to the weight of the shot in their reloads. Most reloaders who think they are shooting 1 1/8 oz of shot are shooting less than that.

The weight/volume relationship of different brands of shot vary and the weight/volume relationship of different lots of the same brand of shot can also vary.

Pat Ireland

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Things like this can really mess your head up. Sorry to see you've loss sleep over it. I've been reloading for a long time. I'm all about checking my powder charge weights (holds fine) but, I gave up long ago with shot weights. I find it to be insiginificant. The volume drop is what is important and your crimps will stay perfect. 1 1/8th. - 1 1/16th., hard shot - soft shot. I'll take the Magnum shot and a few less BB's. I'm part of the Love/Hate group with the adjustable bars. I hate them. Fixed bars and powder bushing bushings has worked for me and I'm spitting out good reloads. I'm all about safe reloading but, I'm not gonna make it a science over the occasional .2 grains of powder variance or a few BB's.

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

20 some pellets short is ok unless 4or5 of the 20 short was needed to break the target. All my Mec charge bars drop actual weight.

GS

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'll I reload on is MEC machines. Great machines. It's not right in the mark as you suspect. Shot brand and hardness will vary BB count. The bars are volumemetric. If you're counting on the last 4-5 pieces of shot to break a target you weren't on it or time for a different choke tube. A loss is a loss. My shot bar wouldn't be the first place I'd be looking if I were to be missing targets.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If the size of the shot and the volume of the bar are correct, then you would probably get nearly the right pellet count due to the volume. Adding weight to make up for a "light" shot drop will likely add a few pellets. Last time I checked, I got about 1.09 oz from my 502-118 bar with some imported "magnum" shot. The pellet count was six pellets shy on the average. Using the adjustable bar to get as close to 1.125oz as I could, put me a few shot over the usual count. That was with 8s. 7 1/2's would be different, provided they were really 7 1/2s. I measured the diameter of the shot I counted and it was very close to standard. It's been said before....I won't lose any sleep over it. I won't take extraordinary steps to correct something that isn't really broken.

15. grntitan

I haven't done anything drastic yet like boring the shot hole but i did count the pellet difference needed to make the drop correct. I came up with an average of 28 pellets needed to make an exact 1.125 drop. I don't know about the rest of you guys but i think 28 pellets could be a significant amount. Now i'm seriously thinking about the Dremel tool.-----Matt

16. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Ive always thought it could be easily solved if MEC machined the shot hole to accept a bushing. MEC users always have a bunch of bushings on hand...you wouldn't have to grind the bar.....and if you changed from chilled to magnum shot..it would be easy. Unfortunately, MEC doesn't see it that way. I guess I could take one to a shop and have it machined huh??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.