1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

charge bar mystery

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cole-mitchell, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

My charge bar is an 1-1/8 charge bar. Up until now it has been throw slightly more than an ounce and an eighth (4-5 grains over) For some weird reason, it is now throwing around .97 of an ounce. Is this strictly because I got a bad batch of soft shot? I have always used Northwest magnum 8's....

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...or a good batch of hard shot, C-M?

Neil

3. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

possibly...

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hard shot is lighter than soft shot, but the difference should be much less than the 1/8 oz you reported. I would look for some sort of blockage in the shot pathway.

Pat Ireland

5. JLW

JLW TS Member

How's your powder drop? I ask because sometimes the charge bar does not travel the full throw due to the powder baffle being screwed down a bit too hard.-Jerald

6. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I know this will take a lot of time but first measure a few of the shot. # 8 should measure .090. Than count the number in a 1 1/8 oz. drop. You should have 462. Hard shot is lighter. Glenn

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That is a big change in weight. Check the shot with a magnet, there might be some steel shot mixed in. HMB

8. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

If using a Mec, I would suggest you get a Universal Charge Bar. I have two: one for 1/18 ounce and one for one ounce. Along with a digital scales I can tweak the powder & shot charge to what I want. The powder charge holds to +/- .2 gr. However, the shot drop is a different story. Because of the variation in the shot diameter, it is not passable to get exactly 437.5 (one ounce) or 492.2 (1/18 ounce).

As a retired Quality Engineer I ran a statically analysis on the shot drop. I found the variation will be as much as +/-6 shot, with +/-4 shot is the norm.

If you have a digital scales weigh individual shot. You will be surprised at the variation. This is why, by measuring by volume (the charge bar) you get a (minor) variation in weight of a charge bar drop.

Good luck.

Frank

9. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

thanks guys (still open to more suggestions)

10. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

It's NOT THE SHOT!

Check the adjustments on you machine to make sure the bar is working correctly.
    Consider operator error, make sure your using a full stroke, with a smooth pace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.