1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Charge bar leaking powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. Lester, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Lester

Mr. Lester Member

I have a universal charge bar on our MEC 9000 ands it leaks just terrible. I tried flipping the washer and that makes no difference. I have another universal charge on our other Mec 9000 and it doesn't leak at all. Any help here. Lester

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Try backing off the bottle just a slight twist. It seems that too much pressure and from tightening the bottle, will compress the brass washer and cause the leakage.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

If you use the red PC powder baffle, you don't use the washer or grommet. The baffle has a spring loaded sleeve that rides directly on the bar. It has made a quite noticeable improvement when using fine ball powders for the .410.

4. arend003

arend003 Member

I use the universal bar on a MEC Sizemaster and the powder leaks.. went to the PC plastic powder baffle, without the washers, and it still leaks . something I have to live with . Using Red Dot

5. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Had the same problem with my MEC-77s and MEC-Jr the PC powder baffle did the job I no longer have problems with my loaders.

Best upgrade for a MEC in my opionion.

Ronbo

6. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Hey Guys,

When using the universal bar and baffle, do not use the brass washer that comes with the charge bar use the one from MEC and a grommet on top of it, that should take care of the powder leakage. This is a pic of the washer to use in green.

thanks
    lee

7. 9800312

9800312 TS Member

Birddog....thanks for the info and pic. My wife does all our reloading (bless her little soul) and is always complaining (to put it mildly) about powder leaking from the universal charge bar on her (notice I refer to it as hers)9000H. She saw this thread and went digging through the spare parts box and found the original washer, installed it and she said only about 5 flakes in 400 shells...have heard no more loud ranting from the reloading room. Thanks again.

8. arend003

arend003 Member

Birddog you are saying then with the plastic powder baffle to use the brass washer and rubber grommet from mec along with it? I have always heard that with the baffle to NOT use the washer and grommet. Also your picture did not show for me.
    Tom

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Tom,

I have not used the plastic baffle, because this is my thinking it will hold that much of a more static charge. But in the way it is built is no difference than the metal one. To answer your question I put the thin MEC washer with the 4 tits up with a grommet on top of it then screw your baffle down and your ready to go. I have used this with all type of powders with great success. I hope you can see this pic Tom, if you can't email me and I will send you one.

thanks
    lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

410 powder leaking

powder leakage with universal charge bar

problems with mec 9000 leaking powder

universal charge bar for mec sizemaster