1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Charge bar for DL-266

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W.R.Buchanan, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

OK guys, I tried to find a Charge Bar for my DL266 here and came up empty. So I finally had to make one.

Hornaday was kind enough to give me the factory production drawings, so I had the correct dimensions, and after I redrew the drawings to be more user friendly, this is what I ended up with.

It is made from a stick of UHMW++ which is a high lubricity polyethylene plastic, like milk bottles with some oil added. It machined pretty well and held dimensions so I didn't have to chase it around too much. The pretty blue color kind of matches the machine,,HUH?

Thanks to Redleg for providing the primer drop arm, so at least I didn't have to figure that out too.

Here it is. Works perfect!

Randy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Nice work!

ss

3. TC

TC TS Member

Randy, Nice job. Looks better than the original. Tony

4. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Way to go! Wish they would have put a primer feature on my 250. Jim

5. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Nice machine work!
    A friend of mine had a 266. I sent his sizing ring to Balzers and had it titanium nitride coated. You wouldn't believe how much smoother it was after that.
    ERaymer

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

You can be proud of that... Looks real good.. Mike

7. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Thanks guys, I got the DL-266 and a DL-155 for $100 off this website. The 155 is complete and set up for 1 1/8, 18gr reddot, so I have that as a backup, and for special loads.

The DL-266 appeared to be unused. It was missing the primer feed tube and dispenser, and the charge bar and primer drop arm.

With my new charge bar and the other parts I was able to buy from Hornaday and Redleg I essentially have a brand new DL-266 for $100.(not counting the 5 hours it took to make the charge bar)

Look for Hornaday to restart production on the DL-266 as there are about 6-8 parts that make that machine different from a DL-366.

I lobbyed Hornaday pretty hard at the SHOT Show to do this and got agreement from everybody, so I think we may see new machines available soon.

All I need to do now is to build a proper bench for it and my other shotgun related loading. As you can see my regular cartridge loading bench is kind of full.

Randy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

I like your reloading plate - I have one myself tapped for all my reloading equipment. Looks like a toolroom in the background.

9. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I see you're using Black Label shot as I am. Great shot. And priced right too. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.