1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing to Down Range Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ed Y, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

For all of my years of reloading I have always used , what I thought were the very best, highest quality, components available. I usually paid a premium price for doing so. About a year ago Downrange sent me a generous sample of different wads that they produce and found them to be acceptable substitutes for the white AA wads that I was using at the time but I stayed with the AA's until I recently tried them again because they were a penny a piece less than the AA's. My observations are that they pattern just as well and more importantly, they are easier to load with. I load on a PW so I insert my wads with my left hand and don't really look at it but rather feel it to be sure that it's right side up and that the petals are open. Out of 500 AA wads I get approx. between 10 and 20 percent that need to be opened up while out of 500 of the Downrange I had zero bent petals. They've got a new customer.

Ed Yanchok

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Congrats Ed! Welcome to the family!

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Smart decision, Ed. In my opinion, they certainly make a quality product along with the fact that the people who are involved with the company are a bunch of good guys who care about their customers.

Take care and shoot well

Steve

4. wlc

wlc Member

How did you get them to send samples? I have not had much success getting them to respond to my emails.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

DownRange had a sample give away on here sometime back. They are always at the Grand and many other larger shoots handing out samples as well.

Ed,

You made a wise choice. Of course you already realize that. I have been using them exclusively for 3-4 years now. I too had issues with bent petals causing problems with my Pacific 366. Since switching to DR, I have not had an issue since.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

two years ago I won a couple large bags of DR wads on here from kevin. I have not used anything else since. I really like them and I was a die hard Federal fan

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Ed, If you found a bag of wads, any brand, that didn't have bent petals it was a fluke. I have used mostly Downrange for the last three years and they have bent petals just like all brands. I have never considered this an issue, they all go into the dryer. You are certainly right not to spend more for the Winchester name.

8. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Johnny,

Don't know what Down Range wads you have trouble with as I have loaded them since they first showed up and don't experience any problems.
    I load both four petal and 8 petal wads without difficulity.

Just went through two bags of the new yellow figure eight wads with the 8 petal windjammer shot cup without any problems.

You must have got a bad batch.

ed

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Hill topper , You are the one who said it was a problem. I stated about that it is not an issue. I only said they all have bent petals. I have gone through 4 or 5 cases of the one ounce purple wads. The only "bad batch" was the first case with the end of some petals missing;the mold didn't fill out for some reason.

10. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I don't do the purple wads so have no knowledge of them.
    Guess thats about the only variation I haven't tried. I use the pale green and dark green one ounce wads. I ocassionally may have to flare the petals of a random wad, but that is the exception.
    They are still the best aftermarket wad that I have had experience with.

So far haven't had to resort to the dryer yet.
    Have yet to fight that battle with the spouse.

ed.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Hill topper , purple or green it won't matter. You say "I occasionally may have to flare the petals of a random wad" , that's normal, isn't that what we are talking about, bent petals.

12. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Ive loaded them all, easiest and most uniform wad to this date, only wad I would trade for would be the Lage uni-wad.

13. N2deep

N2deep Member

+ Me Too on the down range wads,, they work perfect in AAs for 1 1/8 oz,, better than the Winchester and or Western replacements and less plastic build-up.. Great Product

14. N2deep

N2deep Member

+ Me Too on the down range wads,, they work perfect in AAs for 1 1/8 oz,, better than the Winchester and or Western replacements and less plastic build-up.. Great Product

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.