1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing to a new pigeon gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Boxbirder, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Got my new flyer gun, I took bits and pieces from a post I made months ago then had it built. I had 3 barrels done up with 2 stocks one for sporting the other for Flyers. Also a set of 28ga barrels for the MX 8 12ga frame with a forend.

Now that I have had the chance to try the whole gun out, how does one go about switching guns for flyers. Should go to a shoot, shoot the new gun at 10 practice birds, then 5 with the old gun and shoot the race with the old gun? Just jump right in with it "I don't like that idea" or shoot it at everything for the next 6 months and stay away from the pigeons all together???

2. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Standard procedure is sticking with one gun until you get used to it.

But - As long as your guns aren't really different in stock dimensions or in extreme weight, I would say do whatever you like. Variety IS the spice of life. GAP

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Why different stocks for sporting and flyers? Is a higher POI needed for flyers?

4. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Bottom barrel should shoot higher than the top barrel --- why did you build a new gun if you were happy with the olde one. You can't take two girls to the same dance.

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

You told us long ago that you never play the money, so what's the difference when you break in the new gun?

6. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Bill playing the options has nothing to do with trying to shoot the best of the bunch. Going from a 21 to a Perazzi is going to take some work let alone I'll miss my old gal. But she's seen better days, as you know my Parker Trap has that choke issue.

7. andybull

andybull Active Member

Bunker trap would be a start. Depending on the type of bird release system you will be shooting birds out of, should determine the barrel selection you choose, that is if you had barrels built to shoot rising birds or flatter flying.

Either way you will need a lot of trigger time in order to feel confident with your gun. You may also look at the fact that the gun you had built, might not be the end all of guns for your particular style of shooting.

Andy

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is no substitute for seeing lots of birds. If you jump from one gun to the other, you will be thinking and not seeing. Stocks lots different on sporting guns, everything is dropping,(PITA),flyers can go anywhere, but mostly up. I prefer both bbls to shoot to the same place, high, you don't have time to rethink where the gun is going to shoot the 2nd shot. Stocking a Perazzi o/u to the same dimensions as a Win 21 will NOT result in the same shot placement.

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Boxbirder: how does the 28 gauge barrels feel on the 12 gauge frame? what do the 28 gauge barrels weigh? what length did you get them in?

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I am really confused! Why in the hell would you shoot fliers and not play the money!? Are you a groupie or something? Tom Rhoads

11. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

If you have to ask someone else it probably won't matter

12. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tom R. You obviously don't know much about gambling. Flyers are fun to shoot, without getting your brains beat in by the "road pros".

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Find a period of time atleast 6 weeks that you don't have any important money shoots. Put the old gun away. Shoot the shit out of the new gun. Shoot Trap, skeet, and Sporting or 5 stand. I'm talking about a few thousand shells. If you have access to a practice ring on a regular basis I would shoot a few hundred birds as well.

It's Repetition that matters you need to reprogram your brain to the new gun. One you learn the trigger speed and the feel of the gun you should be able to go on auto pilot. This is a time consuming and sometimes seems counter intuitive. It's the best way and for some it will take only a few weeks others 6 months.

Have fun good luck

Happy thanks giving
    Joe

14. andybull

andybull Active Member

Buy some Barnaby traps as I did, then throw charcoal brickets out of them and smoke them.

They are tough to see and small enough to make you focus.

Andy.

15. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Years back Dennis Kingen had flyer shoots. A lot of the guys drove the 10 miles to Indiana Gun Club and shot skeet to warm up for the pigeons.

16. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Having shot flyers all over the world with the same gun for years to me is a big change. Back in the day we used 500 dollar guns for 5000 pots. Today you see 10K guns for a 500 dollar purse. In my area it's tough to get 20-25 shooters, most of the shooters are die hard flyer shooters.

I had the gun fit not a copy of my 21. I had the other stock and barrels done to give me some play room. The 28ga drop right in with there own forend, plus there just a hair shy of the 12ga barrels.

I shot the gun over the weekend, patterned some flyer loads, Remington, Federal, Rst all seemed to work well but the RST out shined them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.