1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing the POI on a Browning XT-can you?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pat drake, Jun 26, 2013.

1. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

I shoot a Browning XT Trap combo(un-single). I have a R.A.D. recoil system and an adjustable comb, which is bottomed out. I have my unsingle barrel set up to shoot pretty flat (60/40). My double barrels shoot a bunch higher! My bottom barrel is about 100% and my top barrel is about 90%. My question (finally) is there a way to lower the POI on my double barrels? when shooting doubles, I have a very hard time getting my gun pointed low enough to break birds. If my o/u barrel shot lower, I am sure I would never miss another bird LOL!!!! Thanks for your input.

Pat

2. Mike W

Mike W Member

What does your sight picture look like? If you are looking down the barrel and you have some space between the beads you could reduce the comb. If lowering the comb will not be possible because you will not be able to see the beads you are out of luck.

Mike W

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Dude, check out the POI thread that's been running lately.

What's the height of the center of your pattern compared to the point of aim for each barrel? Use this measurement because different chokes will give you different POI readings measured as a pattern percentage.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Briley can make you chokes to shift the POI up to 8" in any direction @ 40 yards.

Or you can use an add-on rib built to lower the POI (it will need to be lower on the receiver end than on the muzzle end), or have the factory rib stripped off and a new one built for the barrel.

None of these options is going to be terribly cheap.

5. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

PUT A TALLER FRONT SIGHT ON THE RIB-RICK ZINO

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

If you have different chokes in those barrels, you don't know your true POI starting points without using the center of the pattern.

Good luck.

7. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

I am basically looking right down the rib. My comb wont go any lower. As far as distance in inches, I have never measured it, but about 90% of my shot pattern is above the midline at 35 yards. The new choke option is very interesting though. Thanks!
    Pat

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Long ago I put a handmade half-rib on my XT to shoot doubles with. I was never happy with it, but it did change the POI. I took several clinics from the pros and found that many of them use K-guns just so they can change the POI of each bbl. with different front bbl hangers.

Bottom bbl, first bird with a higher POI. Top bbl with a lower POI for the second and often dropping bird. I found an R-3200 that worked, so I never went to the half-rib.

I hope that the image I grabbed opens to show that I'm talking about. There are several companies that make them, and they are not that expensive nor do they muck up your XT's bbl.

Good luck,
    Kip

9. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

TOLIPNUG nailed it for a quick and easy "see if this works".

It's a fact that (if you use the beads at all...) a taller front sight will lower your Point of Impact. Since the problem is just limited to your O/U barrels you could mount an old bead on a 2 inch long, rib width, piece of wood. Start with 1/8" high. Paint it black and tape it to the end of your present rib.

If that works you can always have a special rib made. You'll have the benefit of knowing how high it should be. Good Luck!

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You are out of luck, just as Mike W said at the start. I've tried those abbreviated ribs and while they seem OK, I think that in the long run you will use the barrel as a reference often enough to keep you from ever winning.

Are you really, really sure about all this? I've tested I don't know how many XT's at the Metro pattern board as people drifted down when I was there and they have all been the most reliable straight-shooters of any brand I have ever tried.

With that kind of deviation you should be able to see something causing it. Do the barrel rings indicate it will shoot uphill?

If you have tested this gun over several days, carefully and off a rest and always get a similar if not identical result, I'd send it to Browning and see if they will fix it. Shooting it will be a waste of time and money.

Neil

11. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

wow. thanks a million for all the info guys. It seems I have more options than I thought.

pat

12. wlc

wlc Member

If you look at Pat's scores from the NM state shoot you will see that he knows what he is doing. You might also wonder why he wants to change anything!

13. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

WLC, thanks for the kind words. I think that anytime you can help yourself shoot better, it is worth looking into.
    Pat

Search tags for this page

browning xt trap poi

does poi change with differnet chokes