1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing the Grand Date from August

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

If the SCTP is leaving the Grand I hope the ATA looks at changing the Grand to a later date for better weather. With out the SCTP youth that is off from school there seems to be no reason not to consider moving the date. There will never be a date that will please everyone but there seems to me that better weather would improve the Grand attendance and enjoyment especially if your family goes with you.

I know many shooters that will not go there in that heat and lots of vender's also that do not go or dislike the uncomfortable climate in August.

I love this sport and would like to attend the grand again but with the reports from friends about the heat and how uncomfortable it has been I can't justify spending the money to be miserable.

I do live in Florida so I know what it is to shoot in the heat shooting with wet towels from a cooler over your head makes me wonder whats wrong with me some times but my wife just says I'm crazy. So I cant wait till winter comes and the weather changes and the snowbirds fly south to shoot.I would just like to shoot in nicer weather and enjoy the vender's row sights with out heat stroke.

I was just wondering what the TS.com followers think about the possibilities
    and your thoughts and reasons about moving the date.

2. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Dido! If they change the date it will bring more shooters. I have gone to both grands and the first US Open there and have to say it needs to be pushed to September. They could even do it on the Holiday weekend, that would help bring even more shooters. It will still be warm but maybe 80's rather then 100's.

Dave

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No chance. HMB

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Old One Eye -

Refresh my memory - when was the Grand held prior to the creation of the SCTP? And as far as that goes, maybe someone could recite the dates of the Grand for the past 20-30 years.

Scott

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Where do you get the trap help??

Scott is that a trick question?

Don

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

What construction worker gets time off in August? Not in Oregon you won't. Jeff

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

1. October makes a lot more sense because of:

a. Weather
    b. More time for shooters to get in targets at local/state shoots.
    c. Virtually eveyone that can attend now in August could attend in October.
    d. A lot more people could attend in October than in August.
    e. Attendance would go up.
    f Scorers wouldn't quit in the middle because of the heat.
    g. If running the Grand depends on school kid scorers, that is a problem.
    h. State shoots could spead out a little so people to attend more of them.

2. Never going to happen.

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I'd like to see the Grand pushed back. Not because I plan on going, but because everything else revolves around it. So we get clobbered with shoots from May until early July, and then ATA is for all intents and purposes is over until the following April. Would be nice if big shoots started in late May and went through mid or late August and the Grand was in early September. As it is, we wind up shooting in lousy NW PA weather in March and April, getting ready for two months of heavy shooting, and then it's all over.

I'll comment on the target year change too while I'm at it, it will kill our club's fall ATA shoots. September and early October weather is usually pretty decent, and people register targets then to get a head start on the following spring. Now there's no reason for us to hold these shoots. I suppose we can try and cram in more shoots in the spring to make up for lost income, but so will every other club in the area, and we'll be dealing with rainy, and possibly snowy, shitty weather. Thank you ATA for thinking of the little, northern, clubs.

~Michael

9. 154

154 TS Member

Well, I hope we change the location to Texas or Vegas.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Big knee jerk reaction. Unsual year climate wise. Can't change things for one year's experience. Stop worrying. The SCTP needed to get off the Grand dates anyway. Too much turmoil for the Grand. If the SCTP kids want to shoot the Grand it should be special and apart from their own Championship.

If the SCTP wants help in Sparta, I'm available. We, the ATA need the revenue.

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

October in Vegas would be perfect for me....harvest over...drive 2 miles to the highway...turn right and drive for 2 days and I'm there!!

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Grand should be the finale of the year, my opinion would be having the target year end coinciding with the Grand, held in the last week of September.

National Trapshooting Day should also not be an orphan, hunting interferes in a lot of cases. Move to a day in the height of the season.

No matter what you do someone will squeal, so leaving it alone is fine too. At the rate things are going it may be a less crowded event anyway.

HM

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

For many of us October would be a convenient as August, but for many others it would be a poor move. We are somewhat conditioned to believe that vacation trips are made in June, July and August. School starts in late August and after school begins, family trips end. This pattern remains in our minds long after our children have grown into adults and left home.

Also, making such a decision based on one years climatic factors makes little sense. Next year it could be cool with light showers in August at Sparta. I personally would rather shoot with the temperature at 95+ degrees than shoot when the temperature is 55 degrees. Below 50 degrees, I hibernate. Different people like different things.

Pat Ireland

14. erm

erm Member

Now Hawaii would be cool. How about inside Diamond Head crater. A ring of traps shooting toward the crater walls with a club house and vendors in the middle. Close to waikiki and controlled access for security. Best of all is I can sleep in my own bead at night and drive 1o minutes to the shoot. Aloha......erm

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

tomk2,

Except for school teachers and perhaps a few individuals locked into August vacation slots, I would think anyone with the money and time to trundle off to Sparta in August could trundle off to Sparta any other time.

So the question is what are the universal reasons that people can't attend in August? These are family vacations and reunions, summer is prime season for cruises and overseas tours and midwest summertime heat.

All of these are answered by a later date.

So, are there universal reasons people couldn't attend in late Sept/early October?

Are there "Shooting Reasons" to change to a later date? There seem to be in that it lengthens the season for local shoots in the colder parts of the country and it would make the Grand more of a season's Grand Finale.

16. alf174

alf174 Member

October? Sheeiit, thats when deer (aka holy) season starts! Good luck trying to get those guys out of their stands!

17. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

When they change the dates for the Grand tell me first. That way I bet I could get a room closer to the Grand . I called the Holiday Inn, Sparta in Sept it was already booked full for 2008. Maybe I should have tried 2009

18. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Less than 10% of ATA shooters participate in the Grand, and yet our year revolves around it, and we rush to get state and zone shoots in before it. Why? Give us August to work with, because as it stands now, if I went to all the ATA shoots I want to go to in PA, OH, NY, WV, and MI, I wouldn't spend a weekend at home from early May until the middle of July. July, August and September would be spent sitting around the house wondering where the heck the ATA season went so fast.

Cram all my competition into two months because of a shoot that I (and my fellow NW PA shooters) will never go to. What a joke. What I'll do is wind up going to half the shoots I want, and having to pick and choose because some shoots will conflict (like the WV and NY state shoots).

~Michael

19. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have not been on this site in quite a while but when the decision came down to move to Sparta I posted a thread that was laughed at. At that time I mentioned a friend of mine that had lived 15 miles from Sparta for 10 years, when he heard the Grand was moving there the first words out of his mouth was "Oh God that's the hottest place on earth in August thats the reason I move to New York" Shooters in favor of Sparta said it can't be any hotter then Daton, wrrrrrong. I also said Vegas would be a much more desireable spot. Held in Feb. it would be a nice break from winter weather in the north, cheap air fares and great hotel rates. Oh well were in Sparta.
    Shoot well, Bernie K

20. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Bernie -

I hate to confuse everything by providing a bunch of factual information.

Daily Max Temperature: St. Louis-87.9, Dayton-82.3, LV in Feb-63.0
    Daily Mean Temperature: St. Louis-78.2, Dayton-72.3, LV in Feb-52.2

This info is from NOAA and is based on data from 1971 to 2000. You'll have to make your own adjustments to account for global warming in the past 7 years.

It is true, on average St. Louis is warmer than Dayton. Las Vegas in February probably wouldn't be considered ideal weather by most. It's safe to say that the weather in Sparta this year was hotter than normal.

Not sure why you think a flight to Vegas is cheaper than a flight to anywhere else, I just checked AA and it was almost $350 for the days in February I picked. People who haven't been to Vegas in a while don't realize that it stopped being the destination with $29 hotel rooms and $5 steak dinners a number of years ago - oh yeah, they added a bunch of traffic too!

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.