1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing the Grand date (again)!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by alf174, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alf174

alf174 Member

Different venues require different kinds of help. Emptying the schools in Sparta to work a 2-week long trap shoot is just not going to happen, get over it.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Getting vacation time in October could be a problem for a lot of shooters.

Eric

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Mid-January gets my vote.....

Curt - Delaware

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Here, Here; I'll vote for that, if I had a vote! But, the ATA is a republic. One man's or 1000 men's vote's means nothing to the central powers. We've been doing business the same way for 100 years, as a result it can't be changed. So, I've been told. Dumb, dumb, that's all I can say. Are the central powers so afraid of the membership that they can't ever have a straw pole among the membership on important issues?

5. ysuberetta

ysuberetta TS Member

so all junior shooters are now going to have to take a week and a half off to go to the grand in the second month of school...anything wrong with that?...i forsee a potential problem here.

Raymo

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I would be interested to know what percentage of the Grand help was actually school age kids. I got the impression just from walking the line that alot of the help was older and already out of school. We travel year round to shoots and believe me, the kids who are still of school age, who want to shoot, find ways to be away from the traditional classroom. If SCTP continues to hold their program separate from the Grand, the impact would be further lessened.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

If a vote is taken, the voter should send a $200 shooting deposit with his ballot to indicate the change of date really is meaningful to him and that he would attend and shoot on the date for which he votes.

This system was very well received when we invited shooters to a shoot (not registered) that we held for many years in November in Las Vegas. There was no shortage of trap help.

8. 100straight

100straight Member

When my kids were still at home and in school my job often required me to take my vacations in late September or early October. I just told the school ahead of time when we were going to be gone, and they gave the kids some homework ahead of time, and then some more time to get caught up when we got back. It always worked out fine for us.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Raymo...trust me....the junior and sub-junior shooters will learn a lot more at the Grand than they will in school. Let 'em take a few weeks off to do some shooting....especially doubles !!!!!..YOU RASCAL !!!....Uncle Sam, Pa.

10. Assyla99

Assyla99 TS Member

This would NOT work, I am in college and will be for the next 2 grands. If I had to take a week or two off of school to shoot, my professors would not be happy and i know my grades would probably suffer, especially since that is the middle of the semester and mid-terms are usually a big part of a final grade. Many of my friends in shooting would be in the same boat as I and, personally school comes before shooting. I know that while I am in school, I don't really shoot, so that's what the summer is for. I can say that I honestly hate not shooting for a long time, last year I went 7 months without shooting and it just about killed me, I think I went through a little bit of withdrawal. ~it sucked!

Also, if you think about it, they changed the shooting year so the office would not have to hurry up and get all of the averages and everything done right after the grand for the new year. I highly doubt that the main office would and the BOD would consider changing the date of the grand, this would mean that they would have to again, hurry up and get everything situated at the end of the target year, making more work for them. Just think about it.

~Alyssa

11. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Sure lets change the Grand date to the first week of October... That wouldnt help, all the shooters would be at the Missouri Fall Handicap

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Parker Guy your post said it all shooting is for pleasure and the boys in Texas voted with their participation.

I think the Grand would do much better with a later date states would have more open dates to run their shoots and the Grand would be the finally of the year. It is impossible to make everyone happy but the ATA owes it to the membership to do a pole to see what the dues paying shooters would prefer.

13. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

G.A. should be down in Florida Keys in Jan 18 th each year . Give the snowbirds reason to migrate south ! Plus wives would love the weather , and be more receptive to the shoot !

Pat Kelley

14. primed

primed Well-Known Member

The students and their parents would have to make some tough decisions. But life is full of tough decisions and they are usually good learning opportunities. Where do I send my vote and check?

Bob

15. primed

primed Well-Known Member

And a vacation away from kids does not sound all that bad either.

Bob

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Mr. Eye,

Pat Ireland was offering free poles on another thread.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Next year if it is overcast, cool with a light rain at the Grand in Sparta, this site will be over loaded with complaints.

Does anyone know of an accurate forecast for the maximum temperature each day in mid August for the next 8 years in Southern Illinois?

Pat Ireland

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The Grand will move if a majority of the BOD votes that way. They won't do that, while any of us are still shooting at least.

It takes a decade for a change of this magnitude to get any traction and I've never heard a delegate even suggest this. Someone (who is going to be there for the next ten years and that's important) has to take it on as a crusade and work and work on it and half the time it never happens anyway. So far, no one has started, as far as I know.

Neil

19. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Neil,

I understand that the BOD would have to vote for change. I will also vote with my feet as I did this year. I shoot for fun only. This year wasn't fun so we left after 3 days instead of the usual 10 days. Seems everyone has a vote of some sort. This is not a knock on anyone, it's just the way it is.

Bob

20. alf174

alf174 Member

Average August temperature in Sparta for the last 105 years is 75 degrees with average highs of 87 and lows of 64.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.