1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

changing the bushing on a 366??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beau69, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

Just got a new loader used. No manuals with it. Haven't had one before and I actually feel like a total moron asking....

The lead and powder tubes are full but I need to check the bushing in there and lead charge. I actually cannot figure out how to get the charge bar out to check it all...

help!

2. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

A thumb screw is located on the right side of the shot and powder assembly. Remove it, tip assembly slightly to the left and remove. Empty shot and powder and remove the charge bar. DO NOT TRUST the caps to hold shot and powder when you invert the assembly.

Mike

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You will have to remove the charge bar housing/resevoir assembly from the the machine and dump out the components. There is a good sized thumb screw on the right of the housing, remove that and tilt the housing to the left then lift it up and out of the way.

Remove the cap from one of the tubes and dump it into an appropriate container then recap and empty the other tube. When dumping one of the tubes, make sure you are holding the cap on the other tube, they have been known to pop off and make big-expensive messes. Now pull the slide out of the housing and the bushings will drop right out. Be careful to keep the housing upright when you do this or the powder shut off plate might pop out and it can be a pain to get back into position when it is time to replace the charge bar.

A less intrusive way to check bushings is to drop a powder charge into a pan and weigh it and same for the shot.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Mike and Wolfram have said is accurate, BUT, you do not have to empty the shot and powder tubes to remove the bushings if you keep the assembly upright when you have it upside down.

I use a piece of masking tape to keep the caps on.

Still a good idea to hold the cap on the other tube when dumping shot or powder.

My powder shut off plate pops out every time I do this. I have gotten good at getting it back into place when I replace the charge bar.

And call Hornady for an owner's manual.

Have a look at the "Hornady 366" thread for some other suggestions.

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think that the first thing to do before removing anything is to shut off the powder and shot switches/valves. You shut off the powder by moving that little tab on the right-front of the bar rearward about 2" until it clicks into the OFF position. You shut off the shot by pulling forward on that circular tab that is at the right-rear of the charge bar. This rotates the shot shut-off plate about 120 degrees clockwise when viewed from above.

Also, when removing the shot/powder/slide unit from the press, be sure the charge bar stays in the FORWARD position as you lay the unit down on its left side. If that bar slides to the rear, you are going to have a mess.

As someone else said, those caps are not on very securely, so hold onto those caps as you tilt the unit upside down to get all the powder and shot out of the charge bar.

This may sound complicated, but after doing it a time or two, it's simple as can be.

Easystreet

6. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

hey guys. thanks for the quick tips. obviously it worked.
    Now...if only I would have realized that the powder on off slider was in the off position for the first 200 shells I loaded....I'd be way ahead of the game...haha.

I was so mad I just threw them out...waste of lead but boy oh boy I was ticked!

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Beau.

I try to make a habit of checking that, both by looking to make sure the slide is pulled out and by looking in the hull occasionally on the up stroke (with a small flashlight) to make sure there's really powder in there.

I did make about 120 shells a few weeks ago with no powder.

I am too much of a cheap-a$$ to throw away that much shot, wads, and primers, so I cut them all apart.

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Actually, there should already be a little spring wire (which looks like a bent paper clip) on the right side of the slide which holds the powder shut-off valve in place. This little wire fits into a recess in the side of the slide plate.

When moving the shut-off valve from either the ON or OFF position, you should be able to feel the resistance to the initial movement. You should also be able to feel when it goes into the new position. Further, even with my bad hearing, I can clearly hear the spring wire click into place.

If your powder shutoff valve is moving without your awareness, then I suspect that the spring wire is missing or not properly positioned on the slide.

Again, all this may sound terribly complicated, but if you just take the thing apart and see how it's designed, it all fits into place very logically and easy.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.