1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Stations

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by John Stefanowicz, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

What is the safe way for a squad to change stations. I've believed shooters at 1,2,3&4 step back, turn to their right, and let the #5 shooter go to station 1 by walking between the other shooters and the trap house, on a clear path of concrete, and with his empty gun open and toward the house.
    But most seem to step forward and move to the right while the #5 man walks up and down the chat and concrete, behind the others, and with his gun between him and them, pointing torward the number 1 station. Young John

2. kriegazzi

kriegazzi TS Member

What is unsafe about that?

3. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

As long as the guy is pointing his gun in a safe direction (toward the ground and not at someone else's feet...I don't consider pointing in the air to be safe), I don't care how he moves. Point the gun in a safe position and nothing else really matters...

4. 1Trapshooter1

1Trapshooter1 TS Member

I agree with kreigazzi and trucido, as long as the gun is open, unloaded, and pointed in a safe direction, whats unsafe about that?

5. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Whoops - forgot open and empty - those are the first safety points!

Open, Empty, Safe Direction -> No problems!

Thanks,
    Kyle

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

When I change from post 5 to post 1, if the other shooters step back, I walk in front of them. If they stand in place or step forward, I walk behind them. The most dangerous thing I see about changing posts is tripping over a speaker wire.

Pat Ireland

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Rule or an interpretation of a guideline?

As long as the shooter on station 5 makes it to station 1 without interfering or being interfered with by the other shooters and the shooters move with there weapons unloaded and pointed in a safe direction (downrange, at the ground or pointed to the sky) that is all that really matter.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pat ... as has been pointed out many times that rule book is up to interpretation.

9. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

1,2,3,4 move immediatly to their right to the next post. #5 turns to his right, makes a 180, then walks behind the other shooters. Gun is open and pointed down.

When he gets to #1 post, he sets the caller anyway he wants, gets set, puts a shell in the open chamber and points downfield so the squad leader knows he is ready. He can point, wink, nod, "ready on one", etc...

I would think it is more dangerous to walk in front of everone as by the time #5 gets to the guy who moved to #2, he would be right in the middle of setting himself up and could walk right infront of him while he may have a shell in the chamber.

Walk behind the other shooters with an open action. Can;t get much safer than that.

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Neil Winston pointed out on another thread:

"Five shots have been fired by each competitor on a squad. The sub-event is not over, so the guy or gal on post five must move to post one and all the other move to the right. All are walking. How can it be done without one walking in front of another?"

"Unless somebody goes in front of somebody, how are they ever going to pass - short of going around the earth, that is? I've always wondered about that rule myself."

11. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

The rule book is clear: Thou shalt walk behind. I don't like walking in front of four guns pointing at my ankles. I understand in International Trench shooting, you must turn to the right(270 degrees) with your gun in the left hand and walk behind. If you do otherwise you will be disqualified. The other shooters are shooting as you walk. It may look polite to step back, but it is not a safe practice. D Winter

12. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Tom,

There is one other way to avoid anybody walking behind somebody else:

Lets assume the range faces due North.

1) Shooters on posts 1-4 turn to face East.

2) Shooter on Post 5 turns to face West and takes 2 steps to the side.

3) Everybody walks to their post and maintains their heading upon arrival.

4) When the shooter from 5 arrives at post one, everybody turns to face North (down range) and the post 1 shooter takes 2 steps forward into position.

That way, everybody is walking next to each other but not in front of anyone.

Seriously though, I have been on squads where the lead off has loaded and is mounting the gun before I get to my position and I am not a slow walker. Some people are just in a hurry. I don't trust that all the people I might be squadded with can see me around their blinders and that they haven't already set the release trigger on that 1100.

--Scott T.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

John Stefanowicz I will give my opinion on this even though there is a rule that already covers it. If we have 5 shooters on the field and shooters 1-4 step back and let shooter on 5 move in front of them where do shooters 1-4 point their guns that is safe at the shooter that is now downrange or maybe they should move the muzzle of their guns left or right(pointed at who)as he passes. I believe that it is better not to walk in front of the other competitors.

Bob Lawless

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Slow week, eh?

15. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Geez, what part of: Section I, paragraph 12 don't you understand! (1) post to another, the SHOOTER SHALL NOT WALK in front of the other competitors.

Frank

16. smartass

smartass TS Member

There are no real rules in the game of ATA trapshooting. They are all guidlines to be followed or ignored at your option.

17. RSHOOTER870

RSHOOTER870 TS Member

it dont say guidline book IT SAYS RULE BOOK

18. RSHOOTER870

RSHOOTER870 TS Member

19. RSHOOTER870

RSHOOTER870 TS Member

20. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i've never shot with a squad where the post 5 person walks in front of the others. Nor would i let them to walk in front of me. Everything book I've read, and seen in practice, is that the post 5 shooter turns to the right (to negate chance of barrel banging) and walks along BEHIND shooters moving from posts 1-4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.