1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing shot size ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I normally use 1 oz of 81/2 @ 1185 for singles & short caps. At what outside temperature would you change to # 8 and or # 71/2? Still using 1 oz and the same speed.

Phil Berkowitz

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

68.6 deg.

tony

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

I always change at 71.4. Makes a big difference in my scores.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

28.4526 Had Neil do an analysis and this was his findings.

5. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

I use the time change dates as to when to change shot size, regardless of the temperatures. For those of us living in Michigan, those two dates make good landmarks. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

6. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

That's why I use 7.5 for everything. So that I don;t have these difficult questions to answer.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Martin..... Your information is useless without charts and graphs to prove the results... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Whenever it got cold enough for the club to start opening the boxes of Champion targets.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil- Change shot size at whatever temperature you wish. It will make no difference.

Pat Ireland

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you think it makes a difference, then by all means switch when you feel the weather is right. Just don't add 8 1/2's into the 7 1/2's vs 8's argument. It could keep some people up at night. I'm sure Neil can supply some graphs and charts.

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

7-1/2's for everything.

Curt

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Top Single DT10

There you go. You had to ruin a perfectly good discussion with logic and reason. Next you'll be posting charts and graphs. :)

8's for everything, anything else use 7 1/2's. (?)

13. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

pheasantmaster you made an error that I would like to correct!It's28.452699999999999999999..............!!Safety first Remember the pressure variance also. LOL : )

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I know guys who use 8 1/2 all year at short trap. I use 7 1/2. I used to switch around between 8 and 7 1/2 but I find this easier to stick with. And it seem every other time out it's windy. So I opt for the slightly larger shot size. But, as one said it not a shot size argument. Guys have to do what they feel comfortable doing. Alot of it is a mental thing. But if it works, do it. Do whatever it takes.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I load different size shot for singles and handicap and, without question, it can affect my score. Once in a while, I get my boxes mixed up and I will wounder if I have the right size shot half way through the round. If I start thinking about that instead of shooting the target, it will affect my score.

Pat Ireland

16. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Shot size doesn't have as much of an effect as most like to believe. My friends and I were screwing around one day and playing follow the leader (like HORSE). At the time, I only had shells loaded with 1 oz of #9 shotat about 1200 ft/s. Needless to say, I was hitting targets all the way back to what would be about the 50 yard line. While it may not have been the ideal load, the #9 shot still had enough energy to break targets.

We often shoot pot shoots (Annie Oakley, etc...) from about the 50 yard line and these results got me thinking about what shot size to use. Traditional wisdom is to use #6 or buffered #5 shot from that distance. But from the 50 yard line, the bird will be between 75 and 80 yards away on the first shot. It seemed to me that at that distance, there will be huge holes in the pattern.And given that I know 9's will break birds at that distance, that means 8's will do somewhat better, while filling in the pattern considerably when compared to shooting 6's of 5's. I began shooting 1 oz of #8 shot for this event and my performance increased considerably. I have actually won a few events since making the switch.

Most will probably disagree with this, but my point is that if #9 shot can break birds at 80 yards, #8.5 will definitely break them at up to the 27 yard line. And the denser pattern may actually help. Do yourself a favor and don't bother switching.

Dan

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

#8's year round. Boost powder 1/2 grain when it hits 30 deg. or lower regularly. I leave them in the back of my van year around except for winter. Then I take them inside the morning before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.