1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Shooting Side - Eye Dominance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by paul7177, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I have shot right handed all my life with rifle and pistol. Now that I have started trapshooting, I have discoverd that my left eye is dominant. Many experts suggest that changing sides and using both eyes is preferable. Has anyone here switched sides with good results? It can be hard to retrain an "old dog". Thanks.

2. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Don't do it. Put a small round piece of scotch tape on your shooting glasses (on the side of the dominant eye) you want enough tape to block out just the front bead when your gun is mounted. This way you can keep both eye's open for spotting the bird and not have the dominant eye take over.

Hawk,

3. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

After shooting left handed for 50 years I switched to right handed and using both eyes. My enjoyment and scores have increased by several percentage points. Do it you'll be glad you did. If you make the commitment stick with it and all will come out in the wash. FD

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It would be very difficult for me to accomplish this. There are many excellent "one eyed shooters", at least one is on the All American team this year.

Pat Ireland

5. southpark

southpark TS Member

I'm right handed and left eye dominant (most of the time). I tried shooting left handed and my scores went way up but I didn't like it. Tried the UniDot and went back to right and felt much better.

6. mustache

mustache TS Member

Paul, I have the same right hand / left dominant eye problem. Frosted scotch tape on left lens of shooting glasses helped (cheaper than UniDot). Also, applied a Meadow Industries crossfire reducer to rib just behind the front sight (gamaliel.com). For more money, Keensights has an add-on rib where front sight is hidden from dominant eye. Adaptation of these gadgets may help keep two-eyed peripheral vision and depth perception, rather than be limited to shooting one-eyed, although, as stated above, is not worst thing either. Good luck.

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Another option to try is shooting trap through a Holosight. I've done well enough with mine. Your other eye can't see the red circle because of the side of the scope. Most mounts raise the scope up enough for you to get a clear view down to the house - another plus. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.