1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing shell speed for wind direction

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Wondering does anyone go with slower shells when the wind is at your back & faster shells when the wind is in your face.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Phil.. I'm not aware of any really good shooter that does this. Its just more crap to deal with and it's not necessary. If the wind is at your back, hold a lower gun hold. If the wind is in your face, hold a higher gun hold. It's just that simple. No messing with different shells..... Just my opinion.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

phil,

what are you nuts?

merry christmass, only kidding, and yes I`ve been in the xmass cheer.

by the way no Idon`t

Tommy Terex.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Wind in your face would slow the birds and cause them to rise
    Wind from behind would tend to speed them up and drive them down. But I don't think the difference is speed is enough warrant a change in shell speed.

The holding points are a different matter. Higher hold for wind in your face and lower hold points for wind in your back.

My opinion also

Bill

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm tasting the sauce also--thinking that a slower shell might compensate for my normal gun movement with a sinking target.

Phil Berkowitz

6. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Now Phil...If the target is rising because of a head wind, you should speed up your loads, if the wind is out of the west you can use a slower load..

You should always carry a load of different shells in your pocket, all marked as to fps. so you'll know what one to place in your gun as the need arises..

Now if the temperature is below 0' you'll need a third pocket for different shells.

You'll also need a forth pocket to carry some 8 1/2 size shells, just in case the sun comes out.

OK Phil...now the truth, I've been in to the Crown, and I want you to totally disregard every thing I've said in this post, except you and your family have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year...

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanx Two Dogs et al--My Scotch relative Glen from Fidich is still hanging around==

Phil Berkowitz

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

If this is a serious post, Phil has too much time on his hands. Merry Christmas to all.. Beam and coke. I mean...Bill and Linda

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thats all I've got these days is time,I no longer reload--get to the range @ three days a week--

Phil

10. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

Faster for 7 1/2 and slower for number 8 shot.I do not have the results for 8 1/2 shot at this time.

Merry Christmas

Fifteen two and a pair is four

Bill

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You're thinking way too much.

12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Wait a minute Phil aren't you the same guy who touts the importantance of lock time?

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Just remember you guys... A wind at your back makes for a convex target path/arc, and a wind at your face has a concave path/arc. Lotta targets missed under when the wind is in your face and over with a a following wind. But shell speed has nothing to do with compensating for the arc change.

A very good friend of the forum shoots all his targets by "covering them". I keep trying to lower my POI. He is an ATA All-American (et-al). Drinkin bud of mine, he is.

14. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

Ya I put 1100 fps shells in my left pocket & 1300 fps in my right

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We have taken a simple game and made it far too complicated. See the bird,shoot the bird.
    Clyde

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I shoot red shells downwind and green shells upwind!

Keller

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the wind is coming from behind you, you obviously need faster shells to make up for the additional speed of the target ... If the wind is coming at you slower shells will work just fine if you let the wind carry the target back to you ... On the angles, just close your eyes and pray unless its running with the wind and or against it, then refer to above and shoot faster ... These helpful shooting hints will be included in my new book called "Shooting in the wind, Deal with it" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. running bear

running bear Member

I carry left hand targets shells in my left pocket and right
    hand targets shells in my right pocket for those hard left or right
    angle targets.

Buck

19. jimsw

jimsw Member

You are on the right track but you have to remember to use 7 1/2's into the wind and 8's with the wind. It should make a huge difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.