1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Point of Impact for Handicap??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by aktrap80, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aktrap80

aktrap80 TS Member

Does anyone adjust the point of impact on their guns when moving back from the 16yrd line to handicap? It seems to make sense to do so, whether its adjusting the comb up or down or an adjustable rib. It seems that I have to actually lower the point of impact when moving back to the 25 yrd line, which seems counter-intuitive. I don't know if it has to do with less extreme angles further back or that I'm just taking longer to shoot at the target from back there. Any thoughts?

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I basically shoot handicaps the same as I do 16's.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If the bird is "flattening out" as you shoot, a lower POI would be required. Your shooting handicap slower than 16's. Keep shooting and speed it up. You'll find no need to change settings. Kiner's DVD covers this.

4. shoot'er

shoot'er TS Member

Yes i do change the POI w/ my perrazzi. I just move the rib 1 notch down in the front and 1 up in the back. Its helped my scores! Or if you don't want to do that play around w/ different holds, hold the gun a little high 1 round and a little lower the next until you have it figured out. If you do change the POI to make it shoot higher then hold a lower gun so you don't blow past the targets.

J.D.

5. BMC

BMC Member

If the targets are good (normal rise and speed) I just add one of the small washers to the comb to raise it just a touch so basically I can shoot the target the same way as I shoot them in singles. Works most of the time. If the targets are coming out flat and not rising because of a tail wind or whatever, I leave the gun alone otherwise I will shoot over some of them.

6. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

I basically agree with JB and shoot the handicaps the same as I do 16's except that I use loads of 1150 fps for 16's and loads of 1250 - 1290 fps for handicaps and basically change nothing, with all the same leads and timing....

If I'm a little late on acquiring that odd target and it starts to dive I know exactly where the POI is at that yardage in relation to my POA and I can shoot where that diving target will break.... Shoot well and break 'em all!

7. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

AKTRAP80

Phil Kiner has a good 2-part article in the recent Trap & Field magazines. He suggests you raise the comb and use a slightly lower gun hold.

8. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

My wife and I took kiners clinic a while back. At that tiem I waS AT 27 yards in handi. He specifically told me that I should add a washer or two at the handi from 16. I still do that today two washers at 16 and three at handi. seems to work Ok for me. It seems if I hold a higher gun at handy it helps but then I start to flinch once in a while as I dont see the target properly. Just my two cents. alex

9. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Changing the POI for handicap using the rib may give a different sight picture down the barrel, but the same area where the target breaks. I know changing the comb too much screws with me. Something you have to get used to. When the difference is a couple lost targets on your average, or a lost competition, I'd prefer to keep mine the same. That's just for me speaking from my own experience, but where my target breaks 12" over at 16, it breaks just over my bead at 25. My gun doesn't have a moveable rib.

I also shoot different guns with different POI sometimes and that screws with my brain and causes a few lost birds too.

I prefer to just hold straight out for singles and hold on the house for handicap depending on how far back I am. Your gun doesn't move as much the farther you are away from the house, and holding lower helps me compensate for this change. JMHO.

Try a walking handicap for practice to see how your hold can change.

10. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I had the same problem until I went to faster loads for handicap. I use Gun Clubs or Top Guns at 1145 fps. from the 16. From anything past the 22 I use the new STS at 1245fps. That way I don't have to change my POI. The birds seem to break at the same time I pull the trigger from any yardage. Glenn

11. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

It is very common to raise POI as you approach the 27. 24-25 yds is usually the point where trouble starts and changes must be made. Biggest reason for the change is slower barrel speed fron longer distances. A small move covers the whole field from the 27, generating less barrel speed. Slower barrel requires a higher POI. Many different ways to accomplish a cure; hold points, ribs, combs. Which ever you use, make sure you can see the bird break with a short, sweet move. Yours in shooting, Todd Nelson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best point of impact for trap shooting

best point of impact trap shooting

handicap trapshooting tips
settingpointofimpacttrapshooting

shooting different guns for singles and handicap

shooting handicap with an adjustable rib
trap shooting handicap tips
when should i work on handicap trap