1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

changing poi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tweety2, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweety2

tweety2 TS Member

Can I lower poi with Gracoil model#GC15LP, I have no adjustable comb and I can't stop covering the bird. I therefore break the tops off or miss? Dave

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Sounds like you want to lower the point of aim and raise the point of impact. Try putting some moleskin on the comb to raise the comb. could put a couple of strips on top and then cover with progressively wider strips until you acheive the amount you want. Or you could change the poi by bending the barrel over the spare tire on back of your car or how bout putting a couple of strips of cardboard on comb with duct tape. Have used all of these methods over the years with varying degrees of success. When all else fails try having someone putting an adjustible comb on your gun so you can experiment until you get it right.

Bob

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Adding an adjustable buttplate will not change your POI. To do that, you have to either change the comb height, or change the height of your front bead. Since you believe you are shooting over the target (i.e, the POI is too high) you would actually need to lower the comb (something an adjustable comb will not help with)or raise the front bead. In your case, the easy solution is simply to get a larger front bead, which effectively will lower the POI by some amount. A simple but effective solution might be to install one of the various front fiber optic "sights" for shotguns such as the Easy Hit, or a similar sight. Many of these sit a bit higher than a standard bead, thus lowering the POI.

Jim R

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Dave, it is possible but it requires changes in your sight picture and your head position and angle. You can experiment to see if it will work for you, or not. If you mount the gun normally and you can see some rib, or figure 8 beads, then yes, you can effectively lower POI by "raising" the stock.

That comes with some trade offs. Just mount the gun a little higher on your shoulder than you normally do. The highest you can go is sighting flat down the rib. Your head will be more erect. You eye will be more behind the receiver, so you won't get quite as good a view of the bird. A couple of practice rounds will tell you if that works for you or not.

Personally, I'd go with Jim's advice except I would not use a larger bead. Use the Hap MecTweaks method to see what you need in the way of height. Push the white head of a pin into a sliver of balsa wood and rubber band it to your barrel just behind the existing front bead. You can experiment with different thicknesses of wood until you get the POI you want. Then you can decide on a permanent solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.