1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing POI on an O/U

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rdf59, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I need help on locating a "barrel" person to alter the POI on an O/U.

I have a Beretta 687 20ga that has a POI on the lower barrel that is 5" low and 4" to the left at 13 yards. The upper barrel is right on at 50/50.

Seminole Chokes in Mims, FL has worked on many 682 12 ga. Berettas that had 8" to 14" POI problems on the lower barrel. Randy Mitchell, the owner, told me he does not have the tools for reboring and changing the angle for 20 ga guns.

I emailed Briley to see if they could do it and guarantee 3cm POI registration (that's what Guerini does). I have not heard back from their gunsmith in 2 months --- I have been in contact with their customer rep several times and he has responded indicating that he turned it over to the gunsmith.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a barrel person that can handle 20ga reboring and "re-angling" with new chokes?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

You might try Kolar. I linked their web site above and their contact information is on the web site. Bill Malcolm

3. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

rdf59 ,

Fixin' yore problem is gonna cost more than the gun is worth .

Demonstrate it at your club and make a "good price" to someone who has shot it and sleep easy 'cause you let the gun be tried prior to the sale .

"Hoodwinkin'" someone who is less knowledgable than you will (should) only leave you loosing sleep at night .

Give the buyer a fair chance .

Charlie

4. mirage1

mirage1 Member

I agree with charlie-it probably isn't worth the effort. I would trade it
    in on something else.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Is it possible to bend the barrels independently from each other? I have never bent O/U barrels bit I have successfully bent several single barrels.

Others may not, but I would have a problem selling anything with a material defect without disclosing it to the purchaser.

Pat Ireland

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

rdf59, Briley can correct POI by making tube/tubes to correct POI. You state where you want the POI corrected to in direction and inches. Last time I had it done the cost was $60 per tube.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Raise the comb on the stock to raise the POI. Simple and cheaper.

8. spritc

spritc Active Member

Send it back to Beretta!

Steve

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You wrote: "I have a Beretta 687 20ga that has a POI on the lower barrel that is 5" low and 4" to the left at 13 yards."

That would equate to 15" low and 12" to the left at 39 yards and Beretta should get the gun back as that POI is totally useless for anything.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Whiz- Raising the comb will raise the POI for both barrels. He only wants one barrel raised and also needs it to be shifted to the left.

He could, when shooting doubles raise the comb so the bottom barrel shoots high and put some cast on and perhaps getting it to shoot to the right for the first bird. Then lower the stock and take off some cast before shooting the second bird. I would love to watch that.

Pat Ireland

11. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I don't like hoodwinkin someone, since I have not conducted my life that way. I am not a believer in the "Buyer Beware" approach.

I don't think it should cost more that the gun is worth. Seminole Gun Works does it for a couple hundred for 12 ga Beretta's. They just don't have the tooling for 20ga. I thought that Briley might do it but they have not shown an interest --- that's something they are supposed to be good at.

PheasantMaster, I will try Briley once more.

Bill Malcolm, I will try Kolar also.

Thanks for your comments. If none of the above suggestions work, I may try Pat's approach of "quick change" custom stocks.

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Does the gun have choke tubes?

Making the alterations to just the tube shouldn't be too hard, especially if they could start with a tube that was "full"

Changing the POI on a fixed bbl....maybe. The less choke there is, the less of a chance.

Changing the bbl itself...costly. I've help a few with this. Actually, Giacomo's shop did the real work. I work with the customers during the patterning process.

I sent patterns (be damn sure they're accurate) and had Dan pop the side ribs, adjust the wedges, pattern as we did, send the gun back to me, and re-pattern it (without the side ribs). If it patterned fine, it went back to have the ribs reattached and blued. One gun had to be corrected twice.

I think that bill ran around $1200.

Send it back to Beretta, along with an explaination on how you checked the POI. Be very detailed, ie..distance, sight picture (figure 8), hold points, and choke size.

Doug Braker

PS--Only the bottom can be adjusted. The top rib prevents any movement of the top bbl.

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

rdf59,

Did you purchase the gun new? Has anyone done work on the barrel prior to your ownership or during it?

If this is a factory Beretta barrel and has not been altered, I would call Beretta and speak to someone in customer service. Arrange to ship them the gun and include Patterns with explanations of how they were shot. range, shell, sight picture and type of rest or offhand shot.

If in fact the bottom barrel is that far out I think Beretta should make it right. The distances the bottom barrel is out of alignment is way off industry standards.

Don't back down. If the first person you talk to tries to blow you off, ask to speak to their boss! Its your best shot in getting the problem solved. Good luck, Bob Schultz

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

rdf59- If you had bought the gun new from Bob Schultz, you would not have a problem. Bob would take it back. Then, I would love to hear the conversations between Bob and Beretta. Bob is s good, laid back Southern boy, but he was born in upstate New York. If you cross him on a business deal, his New York genes will surface. Beretta may not fix the problem for you, but Beretta would fix the problem for Bob. He gets things done.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.