1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing POI by filing the barrel end??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerry944t, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

??Changing POI by filing the barrel end??

This is one of the best ones I've ever heard. I was hanging around the gun club one evening and the local gunsmith informed me that he could easily raise the POI of any shotgun by filing the end of the barrel at a bias.

In other words if he took a bit off the end of the barrel at the top 50% of the barrel the gun would then shoot higher. He told me he does this on a regular basis and I told him we certainly weren't going to try that on my gun.

Has anyone heard of this before? It sounds intuitively ridiculous but maybe I'm wrong.

Smash Em,

Jerry

2. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Of all the years I have been Trap shooting and all the years I was not shooting have I ever heard for this. I'm hoping someone else will jump in and let there thoughts be known.Rich(inPeoria,Az.)

3. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Actually, he might be on to something. Rifle shooters crown the end of barrels to prevent this.

When I index my reload shells in the MEC and then in the K gun, they always shoot straight.

So why not just file or grind back the top of the barrel at the exit point? Say 1/2 an inch? Ought to make the shot go higher. Move the rib back and the front bead, of course. Might be an interesting pattern, too. Probably something to get real excited about!

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'll bet it happens _way_ more than people think . . .

Not quite this way, but tipping a reamer works pretty well.

Neil

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

it would probably work

Gene

6. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

7. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

They usually Tip the Choke tubes . In fixed choke they relieve top of barrel
    so it shoots higher but you cannot change it back in fixed chokes . Ester did for me in sporter k-80 so 1st shot was higher second shot was 50/50 for doubles gun . He was very competent gunsmith Ken Ester , His Kids are now running the business , Not sure anymore about them ?

Pat Kelley

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Maybe Bruce Bowens indestructible H&R could shed some light? I have a feeling it would have some effect. Hap

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

This has got me wondering. I just gave the choke tube in my K-80 a hard look. It might be in danger. Any suggestions about how much to remove and how to remove it? Should I think about attacking the upper 50% of the circumference or would a smaller area work?

Pat Ireland

10. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Pat, I wish you use a choke that you weren't fond of. I also hope that if you take this leap of faith you check the patterns before and after.

I can't help but think that any deviation of the end of the barrel would cause the wad to not only deflect but to tumble and you can imagine the results of that.

Oh yeah, perhaps you could convince a friend to try it first.

Cheers,

Jerry

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The briley tube was cut even though- not at an angle

Gene

12. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I just did the geometrical calculations on this modification. Yes, it will raise the center of the pattern....but only about .003" of an inch at 30yards.
    :(

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hogwash. the Briley tubes with the top cut out a half inch back shot in the same place. This was supposed to be a recoil advantage for doubles.

As far as rifle crowns go, yes that is correct. And the rfle operates at more than 4 times the pressure of a shotgun, so you can expect it to affect the POI.

The rifle shooter doesn't care where it hits, just wants it to be in the same place every time. the barrel is crowned to improve shot to shot consistency.

HM

14. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Get a "cheap" extended tube and file away. Let us know the results...Bill

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- Are you sure a flat file will work ?

Pat Ireland

16. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Pat, Send it to me and I'll grind it to any angle and configuration you want on a surface grinder.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

A few years ago I picked up a Enfield rifle that someone restocked and put a scope mount on. The barrel was cut with a hacksaw and it was on at least a 1/2 degree compound angle. I mounted a scope on it and shot it at 100 yards and was grouping 2 1/2 to 3 inch. I removed the barreled action and chucked it in a lathe, faced and recrowned. Reassembled in the stock and the scope reattached with the Weaver grand slam bases and rings so it repeats when taken on and off. I was very supprised to see the poi and group size did not change. I don't think filing the end of a shotgun barrel will change poi.

George

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

X Factor- When I bend a section of a garden hose but keep the end stationary, nothing happens to the direction of the water flow. To change the water flow, I must do something to the very end or the hose.

Steve- Thanks for the offer, but this seems like something I should do at the range. I plan to file a little and then test the POI.

I have a couple of choke tubes but I have only used one of them for the last +-20 years. This is something I can do with the others. I hope I can get my choke tube out. It did come out 2 years ago and I put a little grease on the threads.

19. Colelum

Colelum TS Member

This is a old trick that we have used for years, if you want to raise the p.o.I
    on a fixed choke, you simply turn the gun over and let your reamer run to the top of bbl and you will be supprised of how much it will raise the p.o.I. Ruddcole

20. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

MRDucks...we likes our 1100 to shoot flat. All the time. MR Flat shooters.

Rudcole...why turn the gun over first?

MRDucks and Irfner...Pat does not own a file.

Toolmaker...an Enfield is a POS. You probably started with a 12 inch group and ended with a 12 inch group. Did you turn the gun over first?

Pat...pull in the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.