1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing loads for wind conditions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Wondering-lets say with a no wind condition you normally shoot 1 oz of 81/2 @1180, would you change the load with a 15 mile per hour with the wind at your back to a faster load,& likewise with a 15 mile per hour wind in your face--Phil

2. moke

moke TS Member

Absolutely............. I will always make sure to add powder until the speed goes up 7 FPS for each 3 MPH of wind ( wind direction does not matter). I also
    increase 1/2 size of shot size for each 9 MPH of wind ( #8.5 < 9MPH #8<18MPH and so on). As you can see I will not be able to shoot in any wind over 27 MPH unless it is raining, then all of these figures are out the window. .......moke

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I think that could make you crazy as the wind changes in the middle of a round. Personally I shoot the same load all the time and adjust for varing wind conditions as they come up. It's called the K.I.S.S. system.

Eric

4. folothru

folothru Member

learn how to be a wind shooter,otherwise use 6`s

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Phil,

Put a shell in your chamber, any legal trap load will do. Next, mount the gun and align it somehere between 5 feet to either side of the traphouse, usually a little or more above the back edge. Call "pull". When the target comes out, swing the gun so it will be just ahead/above the target when you pull the trigger.

When you can do this 100 times in a row without jerking the gun out of alignment with your eye or lifting your head off the stock, then you can worry about shot speed/size/hardness/load. The good news is that when you can do it 100 times in a row, none of the other stuff really matters.

You can't buy/load good enough shells to compensate for a bad swing. OTH, you can shoot darn near anything with a good swing.

6. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Guess what guys, I'll put the brain on idle & shoot the damn targets---when I'm hot I'm, when I'm not I'not----Phil

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Phil, the absolute worst thing you can do is change anything if your concerned about wind as it just adds to the situation of concern!

moke, don't ever move to the central states if your wanting to continue shooting...

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I found shooting 1200fps 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 for everything leaves me to think about everything else. unless im really hooked on my reloads 1145fps 1oz loads, allthough I did load up some 1290fps 7/8oz loads I really like, There I go again. ok back to 1 1/8oz 1200fps 7 1/2s.....

9. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

I use to think I needed to think about all that kind of stuff. Now I shoot 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 @1145 for 16's and first shot of doubles and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2@ 1200 for second shot of doubles and handicap at any yardage. I don't have to worry if the wind might affect it or not. I find the more I have to think about the more I clutter my mind while shooting, and that is a bad thing for me. Just worry about putting more shot on the target and don't worry about the load.

Jimmy

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Do I change due to wind? Nope.....Bob Dodd

11. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Someone once told me a tighter choke is better in wind,
    as the mass stays tighter, it's harder for wind to affect it, at least in the 1st 10yds of travel,probably a bunch of hooey,but who knows,a hotter core could also perhaps draft better.
    I don't worry about wind until i'm shootin annie's from the parking lot,
    especially 2nd,3rd.then a good 20-30+ mph crosswind at those ranges WILL!
    drift your shot substantially.I've shot what appeared to be 3-4 feet to the side of house bird on 3rd gun many a time on these occasions to break the bird,
    no one was breakin em on 3rd gun, and i knew why.i told a friend next to me,
    and he started hittin as well.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The wind affects the target flight and the shot flight. It is important to use a shot charge that is effected in the same manner as the target you are shooting at. This way the standard deviation in flight will be the same resulting in the wind having little or no affect. HMB

13. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

what happens if you are on the line and the wind stops,do you walk off and change shells????

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am in the process of designing a shooting vest with 7 pockets for holding a box of shells each, but having problem with the weight and seams tearing out.

Plus additional pocket for buddy back-up loads, and shoot offs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A strong cross-wind will cause drift in a high velocity rifle bullet also. Pattern your pet load in such a cross-wind sometime, it'll be surprising how the load will drift.Clays will also drift just as HMB says, just not as much at the distance where the shot is normally taken as the shot-string does. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.