1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Guns/ Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Being A lefty, Haveing a gun that fits you better should increase your scores.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mac has it right, a fitted to you stock is the most important part on a shotgun, regardless of the shotguns cost. You can miss with an ill fitting high dollar shotgun just as easy as the cheapest. The gun you now have is capable of breaking targets by the thousands if fitted and pointed properly. What could be better? Hap

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

How about a PFS for your Rem 3200. Sorry just looked no lefty or 3200 avalible.

4. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Any excuse to buy another gun is worth it. Will it make you a better shooter? Probably not. Getting your gun to fit and shoot where you look will definatly help.

5. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

If you are only shooting enough targets to avoid penalty classification, what makes you think you are going to shoot better with a different gun? Go shoot 2000 pairs with what you got. If you don't get any better, you won't.

6. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Darkside, heres my two cents worth. I am a lefty shooter. I changed guns about 3 years ago this next Feb. and has taken me this long to get things worked out. It is a combo P gun. I bought a left hand stock for it in the fall of 2006 and did a lot of trial and error getting it to fit. Finally go help and it has been great. My theory if you can shoot one gun for all targets it is better. The fall handicap at Linn Creek this fall is the best I have shot the last three years. I am thinking it is the combonation of gun, stock, and triggers. We will see what happens at the Spring Grand at Tucson this coming Feb.
    LOL and lots of thinking, Darwin

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Can you justify spending $2,000 for a custom stock for an $1,100 gun? One of the key factors is to have a good dependable gun that shoots where you look. A major part of that is to have a stock that fits. A new gun will take some time to get used to, but IMHO it is worth it.

Take one or more clinics and shoot a bunch more. Bill Malcolm

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I'm LH also and have been shooting doubles for only 3 years, (300 first year, 1400 second year and 1800 last year). Each of those years I used a different singles gun and different doubles gun while always looking for the best combination. After shooting a Ultra XT and a 3200 my last years doubles gun was a Browning Citori Plus and I finally got into the low 90's using it, but it was always difficult switching between two guns that had totally different fit and feel. I felt I could do better if I was using a well fitted combo for all three events. Last fall I bought a unsingle Kolar and had the stock fitted, this month I bought an O/U barrel for it. I have not shot any doubles with it yet but to own a gun that has the same sight picture on the unsingle and O/U, have the same weight, have the same fit and feel I just can't imagine why I won't get better scores. I've had a number of good doubles shooter tell me this was the way to go, I'll let you know in about 6 months if they were right.
    If I had to do it over I might have just opted for the O/U barrel along with a good fitting and shot all three events with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.