1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing gun to a LH shooter

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by headhunter, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Looking for someones opinion about stocks. I have a 12ga 525 golden clays and it has a right hand palm swell, I'm a left hand shooter. Can anything be done to make it a left hander? or do I need a stock replacement.
    Thanks

Happy Father's Day to you all!

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

If it is straight stock not cast left or right(on or off) you can buy an add on palm swell and make it fit your left hand a little better. Bulge.

3. headhunter

are you talking about a stick on plastic type? Don't they make gloves also?

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Yes and yes. Bulge.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The important factor is NOT the palm swell, it is the fit. Do the beads line up when the gun gun fits properly and shoots where it is pointed, the palm swell can be addressed in several ways. Remember, there are many, many shotgun stocks which have NO palm swell.

6. headhunter

Birddog,
    Other than the palm swell it feels great. I feel a little twisted underneath with the right hand palm swell. I shot a 95 with it yesterday but would like to tune it up more to my liking. I am trying to avoid buying a $1000 left hand stock. Any input would be appriciated.

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

You might try a semi inletted stock from wenig and finish it out yourself. Just did one for wifey for her 1100 about 100 for stock and final fitup was reasonably easy. check their web site. browning doesnt give much thought to us lefties.

Bob

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

headhunter Don,t fight it . A $1,000 dollar stock could be real cheap . We as trapshooter should buy our guns without wood and have a fit stock made but never do . A gun that kind of fits don,t fit you . You will never know how good or bad you really can shoot if it don,t fit . You can,t believe the confidence you will have in your gun and yourself when it fits .

9. headhunter

ALF, I was afraid you would say that. I don't really want to fight buying the new stock. I just don't want to fight the wifey.... She always wins some how!
    Thanks for the advice. I think I might try a stick on palm swell while I save some $$ for a fitted stock.

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I am a left dominate eyed shooter who has spent $$$$$ on adjustable add ons for right hand stocks. I finally had a left hand stock made about 15 years ago. I have not had a gun since without a left hand stock. Much lower recoil, higher average & only regret is not doing it sooner.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Headhunter, link above for add-on palm swell. For $12 this may be less expensive and worth the try to save some dough. Bulge

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You will be money ahead buying an actual trap gun that is stocked with some cast on. This will become more important as you progress.

What ever you spend trying to make that 525 into a trap gun will be lost if and when you want to sell it.

13. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

I shoot a xs sporting that is rh but I'm LH and in my opinion the best place for that palm swell is away from my hand. I've shot the LH brownings and find the palm swell very uncomfortable. Most brownings I've own have had no cast so shooting them lefty wasn't any problem

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I add wood palm swells to the off side all the time and rechecker not cheap but you will hardly know it was not origionally not left hand stock. Cost around $200-300 depending on the finish on thd gun.
    Joe

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn296/gunfit/woood005.jpg?t=1245716489
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn296/gunfit/woood006.jpg?t=1245716540

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn296/gunfit/daveeccles037.jpg?t=1245716606

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn296/gunfit/daveeccles035.jpg?t=1245716664

This should give you some idea what can be done two different stocks but you should get the idea.

Joe

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Sorry heres the pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. headhunter

thanks guys, I might give you a call gunfitter. Nice to know you can fix it

18. MattMan

MattMan TS Member

What does a left hand stock from Browning cost? The 525s LH are new this year I think.

Wife is Left eyed and she liked the stock, but the gun was too heavy (32" tubes)...which is too bad as the gun is on clearance at Gander (winchester,va) for 2k.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.