1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

changing from one eye to two

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hehawboy, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Since i started shooting 2 yrs ago i have been shooting with one eye just started with 2 eyes and have found that i pick up the clay alot faster but would love some pointers from you 2 eye shooters on pro's and cons of being a 2 eye shooter Thanks

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Unless you have an eye problem with one of your eyes there are no cons. Make a list of all the things you do better with one eye closed than with both eyes open. It will be a very short list.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Most people have one eye that is dominant, just as you have one hand that is
    dominant. However, just as there are people who are ambitdexterous, there are
    people who do not have a dominant eye. Or you may have a left eye that is dominant but you are right handed. These are both problems. To check your eye dominance, quickly point at a small object 10-15 feet away with your dominant hand, which for most people is the right one, with both eyes open. Do that by looking at the object you're pointing at, not your finger. Hold your finger on that object and close the eye on the same side as the hand you pointed with. If your finger move off that object, you're fine. If it doesn't, close the other eye. If it moves now, you're cross dominant and you will have a problem shooting with both eyes open. If it moves a little when you close either eye, you have very weak or no eye dominance. That's a problem, too.
    There are other similar ways to check your eye dominance, which I'm sure several people will post, as well as how to deal with a problem, which will involve either blocking your vision, or closing one eye as you have been doing.
    If you're o.k. just start shooting with both eyes open..

4. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

From what I hear, the two-eyes-open shooter can find targets faster. We have plenty of time to shoot and are scores are not based on how fast we hit a target. I'm left eye dominant and right-handed and have always shot with one eye closed. In doubles I never see the left bird, when shooting it second from post 1 and 2, until I swing the gun that way. Lucky for me I don't know any better so I don't feel handicapped by it. My roommate Wally was born blind in his right eye and always shot left-handed, even though he was right-handed, and still was AA/27/AA years ago. Just do what works best and remember you don't experience cross firing with only one eye.

5. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

"have found that i pick up the clay alot faster"

Certainly not picking on the poster here, as it has been said many times, but does the speed of light change when you shoot with two eyes? The only way you can pick up the target faster with two eyes than one is if your hold point is blocking the view of the target. One-eyed shooters can have a hold point at the edge of the house, which lets lets them see the targets the same speed that two-eyed shooters see it--the speed of light.

If you ever go to one of Nora's clinics, she makes the point that one-eyed shooters do everything two-eyed shooters do, just with a lower hold point.

I'm not making an argument that one-eyed is better than two, just that on this particular point, a flaw in technique leads a common statement that is a bit misleading. I've only got one eye, but I can see the targets clear the trap house just as easily as a two-eyed shooter.

Dave

6. open choke

open choke TS Member

I'm cross dominant I tried that easy hit sight and although I only see one sight my other eye still wanders for the target. I have to be one eyed.

Like mentioned before if you use a lower hold from the edge of the roof with you're bead when you line up or lower you have a full unobstructed view of the target. Now skeet and sporting is prolly a different story

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

<......If you can learn to shoot two eye, that is the best way. If you have to shoot one eye you do not have to hold on the house. You can hold one foot over the lip and shoot well. You are less likely to "jump the bird" ,and have less gun movement. You still get to see the bird early enough. You will pick up some of the birds under the barrel in your peripheral vision even tho your focus is directly over the bead where it should be.
    Smokit

8. Cush

Cush TS Member

The real advantage to two-eyed shooting has to do with reading the target as you shoot it, not with seeing it come out of the house. In very good light a one-eyed American trap shooter is at little or no disadvantage in this regard, especially if their style is to let the target "develop more" before firing. But go to a poor light and/or bad background situation where reading is critical (such as with bunker where the targets are much faster and include nastier angles) and the wheels quickly come off the one-eyed shooters except those with very exceptional eyesight and abilities.

A clear (to me, anyway) example of this was what happened to the one-eyed shooters at the London Olympics, with that awful, dark-green shot-curtain for a background. When the light faded from clouds or the time of day anyone who didn't shoot with both eyes wide open usually might as well have gone sightseeing. Shooters who had been doing extremely well in the WC's leading up to the Os (not to pick on anyone but Fatima Gomez, for example) suddenly found themselves way off their game. (And Gomez IS a one-eyed shooter because, while she opens her left eye, she opens it only a fraction of a second before calling for the target, so that her left eye has not had time to settle down and see the target before she is firing.)

This is not to say that two-eye shooting will fix everyone's reading problem. Michael Diamond ran 125/125 in the qual. round in London, while visibility was good. When the light started to fade he took his lenses completely out of his frames and focused hard with both eyes, but still tanked and did not medal, even with that lead. Diamond is a very seasoned shooter and did not choke, he simply has eyes that do not work well in low light, or that have trouble discerning the color orange from the color green in low light.

But generally, the two-eyed shooters did well and the one-eyed shooters did not. Watch the wonderful videos. Chernogoraz, who won men's trap, looks like he's looking for (and at) the target harder with his left eye than with his right! He isn't, of course, he is just burning in the focus of both eyes before he calls for the target. He came in behind, but in the fading light, with both eyes working hard to read every target, he won the gold.

Then you get into the whole issue of whether "eye dominance" is really a critical factor in shotgunning anyway. Zach Kienbaum is one of the very top sporting shooters in the country. He is strongly left eye dominant and shoots off his right shoulder with both eyes wide open and reading every target. How can that be? And his isn't the only one.

But while I would advise against shooting cross-dominant if you can help it, one thing is clear -- if you are not clearly cross-dominant you are screwing up by winking or blocking your off eye, if you want to be able to shoot well when reading the targets is at a premium.

There are folks who will tell you they position a dot on their lens so that it only blocks out their view of the target with their off eye at the last second. But that is the most critical time to be reading the target!

Seeing two barrels? Look where you're supposed to be looking (at the target) and you won't see any barrels at all, except in your subconscious, which will sort the problem out just fine.

Stick with it and you will be glad you did.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Great post cush. Of course, Brad Dysinger,hall of fame trapshooters is also
    left eye dominant and shoots right handed with both eyes. I have seen Dysinger shoot many time - in fact I was in a 4 man shootoff with him at the Ohio State shoot years ago.

I never knew that about Zach Kienbaum and I watched him shoot in the World FITASC championship in Chicago back in August. He is as relaxed and smooth a
    shooter as you will ever see.

A entirely new concept is occuring with the sporting clays shooters, as they are shooting with guns barely mounted, nearly off their face, and just allowing their instincts to guide the gun to the target. Their emphasis is on looking hard at the target, and their hands follow their eyes.

As many time world champion George Digweed puts it. " I don't worry about gun fit. I just see where the gun shoots and point it in that direction."

10. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

hehawboy - this is a very personal issue for each shooter. As you gather information for yourself, please consider that eye dominance is not an eye issue, but a brain issue. Baring injury or impairment, dominance is neurological not physical. For example, if you have a dominant eye, keep both eyes open and put your hand over it. You don't stop seeing what is in front of you, do you? Your brain switches for you. The eyes are just receptors controlled by the brain. Sure, we can train or perhaps influence how the brain eye relationship works, and when, but that is quite a topic in itelf.

Put another way, the healthy eye itself is not dominant; the brain makes it so. (or not)

As to one eyed or two, over time, everybody has to figure out what solution works best for them to meet their goals.

Phil Kiner and his videos have gathered a lot of data on this, as have others.

Use the search feature here on TS and you'll get a lot of information.

js in PA

11. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

From a personal stand point shooting both eye open allows me to hold a higher gun and make lest movement with the barrel. Great for shooting in high wind and doubles. You will see a huge jump in scores with sporting clays. My own thoughts. Tend to shoot in windy conditions 10 to 15 mph with high gusts topping thirty to forty mph. Sooner ya shoot the bird the less time it has to alternate course.

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

When you play baseball, do you look at the bat or the ball? With 1 eye or 2?

When you play golf, do you look at the club head or the ball? With 1 eye or 2?

When you play tennis, do you look at the racket or the ball? With 1 eye or 2?

When you merge onto the freeway, do you look at the hood of your car or where you want to go ? 1 eye or 2?

Are you starting to see a pattern here?

Look at your target and your brain will do the rest. Yes, I know, it’s not for everybody, but give it a try for a few months.

Now onto something else. After you hit the ball with the (bat, club, racket) do you stop dead in your tracks, or do you follow thru?

You follow thru.

Same thing in sporting clays, if you stop the gun, you probably shot behind the target.

Oh, I'm right handed and right eye dominant. Since we all have two eyes and they're next to each other you're going to see two images of the barrel. It's called parallax.

Look at the bird, not the barrel.

400130577.jpg

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your speed will increase substantially with two eyes open. That will really benefit you in the wind, and most of the time there is wind. Speed kills. Someone once said on this site (I don't recall who) that statistically less then 15% of all shooters are ever able to shoot with two eyes. So, if you can, do it. I changed to two eyes 38 years ago and it took a couple of months to get use to the difference. Just my opinion.

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Squint your off-eye just a little. This is something I do in the spring just to get headed in the right direction. When I started shooting [hunting] back in the dark ages, Dad was adamant about keeping both eyes open. Doubles back then was a couple of fat rooster pheasants. Bill

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The right hand ,left eye dominate shooters mentioned above have learned (HOW) to prevent the gun from interfering with the aiming eyes ability to lock on the bird!!

Personally I think that same type of (aiming eye) interference may be a leading cause of cross-firing also.Think about that process a bit??

Hap

16. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

hehawboy..... your question is irrelevant until you state what eye is your dominat eye and if you shoot right or left handed. While there may be some experts who state that you can shoot two eyes open if your dominant eye is opposite of your gun hold, be wise to listen to the real expert, Nora Ross when it comes to shooting opposite of your dominant eye. Only open your shooting eye or open both eyes but block dominant eye with tape or patch. However, are two eyed shooters at an advantage? Doubles... definately.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
does george digweed close left eye
george digweed eye dominance
george digweed one eye shooting
how to chang shooting from one eye to two in shotgun shooting
is george digweed cross dominant
is george digweed left eye domonant

is george digweed one or two eye shooter

zach kienbaum eye dominance