1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Changes to the AIM Nationals !!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gsd63, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsd63

gsd63 Member

Just wondrering if any of you are as upset as our youth shooters are about the changes made for the upcoming AIM nationals.
    In case you are not aware of the changes here they are:
    Dates changed away from the regular Grand prelim week. The kids now are shooting the Monday and Tue before the prelim week. This means less vendors and no chance for them to shoot other events in the grand without staying an extra week.
    Awards will now be decided by the "Lewis" sysyem. This will be done by taking the total squads in each division(sub junor, junior) and listing them by the scores shot. The high overall will be given then the rest will be divided equally and where ever the lines fall that is the winners.
    We have over 50 youth shooters on four teams in our area that are totally opposed to these changes. We have contacted numerous ATA officals but have been told this is what they feel will benifit the greater number of youth shooters.

We thought the AIM was to bring youth into competative trap shooting not banish them from the biggest event of the year and then make their chances of winning a national title fall simply to the lewis luck system.

Please resopnd with your feelings

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot attendance will tell the story. HMB

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Really hard on the parents if they are trapshooters themselves. I know a lot of these folks aren't "made of money".Many have jobs and the extra expenses time needed from work will be hard on them. Seems like a lot of folks making the rules are either independently wealthy or retired. It's no sweat to them because they the time and money on their hands. Sometimes they forget how hard it is for some of these families!!!!!

4. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

We are washing our hands of the Aim program Lewis system you have to be kidding. This is not tee ball everyone does not win. That really shows what hard work can do for you. shoot well work hard and you will be passed up. Even the kids dont like the shoot dates. Aim would like to point a finger at the adult shooters but this is a bunch of bull most adult shooter want the kids shooting.

Mark

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Shoot n Holler is right. In our area AIM is all but dead unfortunately. SCTP is growing because of Potterfield's financial support. Our EC has dropped the ball big time in the support of our young shooters. We had a great state director who lost interest because of the lack of support from above. I hope AIM is not beyond salvation, only time will tell.

6. clayman51

clayman51 Member

GSD63,

The best thing you can do is move on and have your group shoot in the SCTP.

The ATA is not interested in what you or me or anyone else has to say.

The EC wanted nothing to do with the program and put someone in charge who is running things the way he wants to and that will be the way it goes.
    Do not stress yourself out with it.

I exchanged several emails with the EC and my southern zone VP. It is like talking to a wall, you get the same reply.

I was told very bluntly that if I did not like it, it made no difference!! This is the way it is going to be!!!

Dennis

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem..

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What solution would you be referring to? HMB

9. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

A lewis class system for their trophies? That is just crazy. I have been out of shooting for a few years, what happened to the SCPT program? It seemed to be going pretty strong in 06 or 7. I would be mad at lewis system for shooting too for a national shoot. Trapahooting has always been about the best scores, not the lewis class scores. Surely the Grand is not backed up with the young shooters with all those traps. You would think they could shoot right alongwith everyone else just as they have in the past. John

10. gsd63

gsd63 Member

Here is an exact copy of the explination I received from Mike Hampton the AIM director about using the Lewis system.

Scott:

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate your willingness to provide us with feed back concerning some of the changes in the AIM program for 2012.

2011 was the third year for the AIM program and we looked at all areas of the program and measured our successes and failures and decided to make some changes where the program needed improvements.

We realize that these changes will not satisfy everyone; however the 2011 program did not meet with 100% approval on the different topics.

The ONLY time that classes were used last year was at the AIM Grand Championship and that was the case for both 2010 and 2009.

The average system has several flaws because some of the kids start out shooting registered targets immediately while others shoot for a year or so and then start.

When the kids start out with 35 X 100 and then 55 X 100 and then 60 X 100 there average regardless of what else they shoot will remain in the lowest class.

Some of the kids get interested and or their parents buys a new gun and they start shooting scores in the mid to high 90’s.

In addition, some classes have very large numbers while others have very few kids shooting in some classes.

If we looked at peak performance, we would see that the classes for kids do NOT work when trying to place kids in classes of like skill levels because of the above mention scores.

It is also not in the best interest of the kids to have a system that is the same for all categories because of the difference in total membership by category.

We plan to use our membership numbers from the last 3 years to determine the number of divisions for the AIM Grand Championship.

The final decision has not been made; however we are looking to have the following divisions for each category.

Pre-Sub: 3 divisions, Sub-Jr: 5 divisions, Jr: 5 divisions, Sr: 1 or 2 divisions based on membership and attendance at the Championship.

I did NOT spend the time trying to change your mind on classes vs divisions; however I wanted you to know that we looked at numbers and stats for the AIM program BEFORE we made these changes / improvements and we realize that this or any other program will not meet with 100% approval. We will continue to make changes/improvements that will meet the goals of the youth program.

Thank you again for your input and please feel free to contact me with any questions and or suggestions that will improve the program for the masses and not just a few individuals.

Mike Hampton

11. gsd63

gsd63 Member

BCNU

We do shoot regional and State SCTP events as well as AIM. The reason for attending the AIM nationlals was because the awards WERE done by the total squad average so you did not have a D class squad shooting against A class squad just because of the school grade they are in.This is what the SCTP uses with exception to first year shooters. But the main reason we attended the AIM grand was because it was going on during the regular grand. The kids loved visiting the 100's of vendors and seeing the best in the world shoot the biggest shoot of the year. Some chose to shoot extra events and try for the money. It is so convient to have it all together and going at the asme time.

As it stands we will probably boycott the AIM and attend the following weekend for the end of prelim week and the first day or two of the main events.

12. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Well Hell, why are they even bothering to keep score? This is not the America I grew up in, or fought and worked for.

IMO,
    Kip

13. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Here in Washington State, King county did the same thing with the 4H kids and the county fair. The county scheduled it so that the younger 4H kids were showing their horse a week before the fair started. Took the oy out of it for the kids, they did not get to show off their horses at teh fair in front of the crowded fair. This was about ten years ago. Many complaints by 4H leaders fell on deaf ears. I know, I was one of the ones complaining about it. My children are all grown up and out of the house now, but if you go to the King County fair, the last few weeks have been a joke. My wife and I can walk through the whole King County fair seeing everthing that we are interested in in about two hours. At one time it was an all day event. With the AIM Nationals, part of the excitement for the younger generation would be just a chance to watch some of the big dogs shoot. Perhaps even talk to them and pick up a few pointers. Hell I am 52 now and two years ago my first year of trap shooting, by luck at the Grand Pacific Daro HAndy was two camping spots over. Beleive me when he told me he had been watching me on his way to shoot and he gave me some pointers I listened. Did it help?? I did shoot a 94 in handicap got into my first shoot off. I did not know what to do when we both shot scores of 24 and was told to get another box of ammunition, switch position and do it a second time. Luckily for me I shot another 24 and the other gentleman shot a 21. AIM is making a big mistake.

Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury

14. dalog

dalog Member

Deja vu (can anyone say "Russ Arnold")

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

And no doubt SOMEHOW Mike Hampton will wind up being paid a HUGE Bonus forcoming up with this nonsense!!!!

16. roger8918

roger8918 Member

There is only one problem with the AIM Youth Program....the same people who run the ATA's adult program are running the youth program. What program do you think those people will put more effort into? It's like Major League Baseball running Little League or the NFL running Pop Warner.

There needs to be separation...the SCTP is all about the kids, the AIM program is all about the ATA.

17. The Stive

The Stive Member

Shoot SCTP. Nuff said. John

18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

No it's not a NUFF said John. It's a real shame the lack of effort or support from the top. Oh well, just move on I guess.

19. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I am completely feed up with the PSSA and the Pennsylvania's AIM program. I have made countless attempts to reach out to the people in charge but I get nothing in return. Well that's not totally true, I did send the PA AIM Director a email in January asking if my club could host a AIM Monthly shoot and I did receive a reply...... in MARCH! Just a tad too late for me to schedule the April shoot I wanted.<br>
    <br>
    There are a lot of things I just love about the AIM program but the problem is they are asking the same people who run the Adult ATA program to run the AIM Youth program. What program do you think these people are going to put first?<br>
    <br>
    I plan to have my team participate in the PA AIM Shoot (June 9th) and the AIM Zone Shoot (May 12th) this year "ONLY" because I had kids on my team who had already gone ahead and renewed their AIM membership for this year. However next year, unless things change dramatically, because of lack of response and assistance from the PSSA, the Mason-Dixon Clay Busters will now longer be participating in the AIM program.<br>
    <br>
    Roger Beardsley<br>
    Mason-Dixon Clay Busters<br>

20. clayman51

clayman51 Member

I seen this train coming down the track two years ago when efforts were made to move it off the weekend at the Grand. They just went about it in a different fashion this time. You are right Roger it is a shame that things are handled in the way that they are. The second year for AIM there was an AIM reps. committee formed and most that were on the committee never knew of their appointment. All were 27 yard shooters but one. Not one current AIM director was on the committee or even ask to be on the committee. The survey that was sent out was slanted and was used to try and convince the EC to move the dates at that time. It never worked because three of us AIM Directors headed it off with our own survey and letter which was sent to the EC. So it was voted down!

Nothing but damned greed!!

Such a shame!!!

I moved on and am now committed to the SCTP,looking forward to a stress free year!!

Enough said!!

Dennis Menning
    SCTP Coach
    Kentucky State SCTP Advisor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jeff waggoner trap shooting