1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

changes to olympic trap, a modest proposal

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tachyon, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

I have noticed that there are 6,322 different swimming events at the olympics. All involve someone swimming back and forth in a pool of water. I think trapshooting should take a cue from swimming and add the following events.

50 target .. like the 50 free this is a "sprinters" competition. Only 50 targets, one little mistake and you are out of contention.

100 target ... the true test of the trapshooter

200 target ... a "medium distance" event with only those who can break the early targets and the last few earn the gold.

400 target ... the "long" event.

100 target relay 4 team members at each post. First person shoots one target, then the second shooter etc. move until each shooter has completed 25 targets (100 per team total)

200 target relay same as above only 50 targets each person.

Just as swimmers have various strokes we have various shotguns... 100 target pump action event, 100 target single barrel event, 100 target over and under event 100 target side by side event....

Medley individual event one target with your pump gun, next with the single barrel, next with the over/under, one with the side by side...

Medlay relay four shooters each with a different type of gun shooting for one team....

Now add all of the above at different yardages (16, 22, 28) and the number of trap medals could rival the swimmers.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I like it Bruce.

3. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Don't forget the back stroke. Maybe an Annie Oakley over the shoulder behind you with a mirror shot.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Under current American policy of support to Olympic athletes, (which is NONE), we are lucky to field the few we have.

5. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Tachyon...from your lips to God's ear, eh? Sadly, the people who manage the Olympic clay target events are doing everything they can to please "The Greens" and NBC...and in so doing are destroying the game (IMO). I'd like to see a team event like they hold in Archery: Three shooters from two teams shoot one shot each, one team at a time. Each six-shots would be an "inning" or something. Eight innings decides it. Ties are decided by shoot-offs that go inning by inning. A lot of bugs to work out, I know. Just a thought.

6. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Correction: Three shooters from two teams shoot one TARGET each, one team at a time.

Oh, and what about an ALL-AROUND: Tr/Sk/DT? I'm just sayin...

7. tachyon

tachyon Member

Some great ideas. If only........

I was also watching the beach volleyball and thought hmmm

Beach volleyball has a built in break every 8-10 points or so... where they change sides... good for tv commercials. During the breaks pop music is played at the venue and during the breaks at the men's events cute girls in bikinis ring the court. Perhaps adding sand to the trap events, built in time outs, country music during the breaks and girls in bikinis like beach volleyball would change the event to where network TV might be interested.

Of course the international governing body for skeet and trap would make sure the women shoot 5-10 targets less than the men.... gotta keep it so no one can do a comparison between the two.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Amen, Royce10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.