1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

changes at gun clubs to get more shooters?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to hear some changes you gun club managers are going to make to attract more ATA shooters to your clubs. Since 1992 i have seen a step decline in ATA shooters here in Pa. Gasoline, Healthcare, Lead prices, ShotShell prices, Lack of younger shooters, etc. This will have a downward effect on our sport. Futhermore, most of the money being spent in our sport is the lower class shooters. B,C,D--19,20,21,22. IDEAS?

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

yeah, my idea is you must be related to senior smoke...

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Mash on the link.

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I'd be more interested to hear how the club managers plan to get the news of their changes and ideas out into the shooting community where it can reach the people who don't show up at that club every week to shoot. Depending on word-of-mouth is iffy at best. How do they intend to broadcast their ideas in ways that arouse interest/curiosity/enthusiasm?

Morgan

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

We try to get more and more people/members just to come to the club. Never mind getting more ATA shooters. We have only one trap field so holding ATA events would be tough. At the moment only 3 members are ATA possible a 4th. We have a serge of younger shooters and a few more women shooting trap. We hold a lot of events that get people to come down. We have a good amount of black powder shooters and archery. Which we get a bleed off of some shooters from other forms of shooters. Recently had a woods walk 3D archery shoot which ended just as trap was starting. Several of the archery shooters stuck around to shoot a little trap. 5 guys from last year who drive down from ME brought their guns with them this time to shoot trap. Short of word of mouth snd avertising in local paper really not much more you can do. We have a machine gun shoot that gets a lot of people in. Also CMP/DCM Invite the girl and boy scouts in. Have a club sponsered jr fishing derby and suply poles bait and give away prizes. actions are also good. Find some one who knows someone to get a deal on a hall of some sort nad have a public action. Brings in many people and raises funds for the club. I try to get all my friends involved.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

jeff p.-how did you know he's my cousin???
    steve balistreri

7. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Serve free beer for an hour before the shoot. OOOPPPS, Maybe not. Free coffee? We have it all the time, doesn't seem to draw anyone, but they complain if someone has not made it when they get there.

Bring a friend and have them shoot at member rates for a day.

Mike

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Mike you have it . Shoot at member rates ( just what does that mean ?) We have a club 64 miles from me that ask that I come and shoot some time . The going rate for practice is around $3.50 in this area this club non member rate is $5.50 . It,s a nice club but forget it I,m not driving that far to pay $5.50 for around of practice . If the price was $4.00 or less I would shoot alot of targets .

9. angryman7

angryman7 TS Member

nothing you can do. you no one can do anything about the things you listed. young people never could afford registered targets unless dad paid. most hit 16, got a drivers licsence and discovered girls. some come back yrs. later after they figure out they were better off with the gun. i will have to cut back this yr. for all the reasons you listed & i don't have any kids. am afraid we saw the best of shooting

10. trappermike

ALF, we have a working club, you're a member, you work, usually about 7 days a year. Members pay $2.50 a round and work, non-members pay $5.00 and don't work. You work, you shoot cheaper, you don't work, it costs a little more. I am allowed to bring up non-members once a year as guests to try shooting at member rates. BTW, If I bring them, I pay for ammo and targets. We hook them in, they become members and I work fewer times a year. If you don't think it is not fair to charge different rates, you can not shoot here or become a member. Didn't mean that to be rude, but that is the way it is.

Mike

11. trappermike

OOOOPS, ALF, if you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, let me know, you can shoot for one day as my guest, and I will pay for targets. No, not all of the rest of you that are here already.

Mike

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I like 1911's ideas. I agree, bringing in youth and woman shooters can help revitalize & grow things. The family atmosphere brings in more extended family. If you have the facility for it, to get youth, a club can offer hunter's ed classes, contact the local Wild Turkey & Pheasants Forever groups & offer to rent your facility for a day's event, etc. Clubs can make an offer to local companies to rent the trap facility for a day's Corporate Shoot. Our club has the state's hunter's ed classes info in a hot-link button on our website. Another thing we've done is start offering women-only intro handgun classes. Believe it or not, about a third of these ladies tell us during the class they want trap lessons too (most have never shot a gun before,) and probably a third join the club to shoot pistol here. Many of these end up borrowing a shotgun and trying out trap, then bringing in more family. We leave "a place to shoot" flyers at local gunshops advertising the womens pistol classes, which gets the word out for the club's trap facility, too. Phil E

13. nipper

nipper TS Member

If we get 3 people to join then we dont owe membership next year.

Bill

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When I work at the counter, I tell "newbies" they are my guest today and charge them members rates. When they come back, remind them, they can join and give them an application. From that point on, without a membership, visitors rates.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Our serge in women members came from Become a Outdoors women sponsored by GOAL here in MA. As far as I know non members pay the same. Our trap is open to the walk in public 3 days a week. We also do hunting classes for Jr. Map and compass courses, fishing durby, auctions , we are a small non profit club auctions bring in some good cash and new members. ANY THING that is charitable events, bake sales , helping vets with there roof or wheel chair ramps. Get the club shirt and jackets on and be noticed. Toys for tots ect ect. As far as ATA memberships. Most shooters just are not interested. like I said earlier we have about 40 regular attending trap shooters, only 3 ATA???? I post a schedule every year and try to get them to at least join and go to the state shoot???

16. I WON

I WON TS Member

smsnyder; changes at gun clubs to get more shooters? This is the first question. Offer something other than Trap or Skeet. Wobble with doubles from the 16yd. line and singles from the 22yd. line to start with, then NSCA Sporting Clays. The NSCA is the fastest grow disipline for a reason "YOUNG" and "NEW" shooters.
    The second question; It would be interesting to hear some changes you gun club managers are going to make to attract more ATA shooters. Answer, and please I do not mean any disrespect but you are not going to attract "More" ata shooters. By ATA's own #'s the disipline is declining. The NSCA is more attractive for young and new shooters, period.

17. CharlieW

CharlieW TS Member

I think clubs could once a year take orders for supplies from members to buy more volume and get cheaper prices on shooting supplies. If members would buy a years supply at time together the club could bargain for the best prices.
    I alone spend 1500.00 to 2500 per year times that by say 50 members. Just a thought.
    Dave

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My club makes bulk component orders at least 4 times a year. Sales to members is at cost. Club's fixed expenses are paid for by members dues. This keeps the cost of shooting low. HMB

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I just got back from our Club's monthly ATA shoot. We had 52 singles entries, with 2 squads of juniors and 38 HC entries. Not bad considering many of our usual ATA shooters were either at a major Winter Chain shoot or had left for the Spring Grand.

A year ago, we would have 15- 20 shooters. The best thing we did was we replaced the old ATA Chairman who didn't want to change anything or work too hard, and particularly didn't want to raise the fees. Consequently, we didn't have the money to offer good prizes, Guess what? We raised the shoot fees, improved the food, improved the prizes and the jackpot money, started greeting people and thanking them for coming. Even though our efforts only affected that last few months of the shoot year, we managed to throw 172% more ATA targets than the year before and we already have exceeded last years total targets.

You want more shooters? Try delivering a good product.

20. topgun

topgun TS Member

I think with the high cost of evrything ATA shooting clubs should consider different kinds of one day shots like:

50 singles/50 caps/25 pair of doubles-half the cost and half the time

small trophies as opposed to lots of added money (that you pay for)

some attendance awards donated by the state association for those shooting 3 events

match the number drawn for shootoff mentioned above

Seems to me without some incentives or changes the old 300 bird program is not going to cut it for +$300 a day

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.