1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Change shells instead chokes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I heard that "some shooters" use different shells at different times during trap doubles or sporting clays INSTEAD of adjusting their chokes. While it makes some sense, is it practical and how popular (common) is it?

I'm interested because I find myself using my 1100 more often and it seems there could be some benefit to loading different shells.

On the other hand, I could be over-thinking something that is basically moot. I'm know to over-think practically everything.

Larry

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

"some shooters" do crazy things. There is no magic.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I shoot my 1100 a lot at trap and 5 Stand. I shoot light shells up close and heavy shells at far targets. I also vary the shot size. I sometimes even change chokes. :) Variety is the spice of life! If you have fun changing shells, go for it. I think it makes a difference to me. Mark

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I used to shoot FITASC sporting with a fixed choke Krieghoff 32 with a backbored K-80 bbl, .753 w/ .017 and .023 constriction. I think it was someone's idea of a doubles bbl. Too open for flyers, but just right for clays. I carried 4 shells, all Victory shells, #9 felt wad,#9 Challenger, 7.5 Challenger, and 7.5 Sonics for the really long ones. All 1 oz. loads,worked well and had to do less thinking!

5. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I've heard of some shooters who use different loads for the 1st and 2nd birds when shooting trap doubles; they also use different chokes for these birds as well (a more open choke for the 1st bird, and a tighter choke for number 2). Maybe #9 out of an IC choke for bird 1, and #8 with a full choke for number 2.

Now if I was shooting a Remington 1100, I might load the 9's for the 1st bird shoot the 8's for bird 2, both with a Mod choke.....good luck

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Larry, you would be better off just changing chokes or getting a barrel that has chokes. While there can be some slight difference between shells (wads mostly) the effect is minor and different with misc loads and barrels. You would have to spend alot of time at the patterning board. Its up to you if its worth it. I'll pass myself. "Stop Thinking". Just shoot!!! break em all Jeff

7. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I shoot sporting clays. I used to change chokes at almost every station, but not any more. I go with a Lt. Mod or Mod. I use 1 oz of 8's at 1200 fps for 80% of the shots. I carry some 1 oz #9 (chilled) @1300 fps for the really close fast ones and few handicap 1.125 oz of 7.5 for really long ones or edge on rabbits. Works pretty good and lets me pay attention to targets instead of spinning chokes. Your mileage may vary.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My sporting clays gun is an 1100 with a 30 inch improved cylinder (.010) choke. No trouble breaking 50 yard crossers using 7 1/2s. I carry 9s, 8s, and 7 1/2s. HMB

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Larry, God has been so very good to me I have seen the "best of the best" shoot fantastic scores with both 2 3/4 7 1/2 or 8's forget about anything else, it's all just wheat chaff! incinerate em!

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I use weenies, 7/8 oz of 9s, up close and 1 oz of 8s for distant shots at any of the games. Now, I'm no longer competing (registered) or with any seriosity but I wouldn't change my loads were I to find the energy to return. I amaze myself and others with the sound breaks with the weenies when, occasionally, shot at what seems an impossible distance.......breakemall

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

When shooting Sporting Clays, I have been known to change both my choke and my load. It didn't help.

bluedsteel

12. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Sporting Clays, 1 1/8 oz. spreader 9's for close, 1 1/8 oz. 8's for med. and 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2's for distance (40yds.+)versalite, Imp. Mod.

13. ctreay

ctreay Member

Well just try this, take one shell of your usual load, one ezactly the same except for 1/2gr less powder and one more with 1/2gr more powder. Put them on paper and see what you get.

ctreay

14. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Been shooting doubles for ten or twelvr years. Have carried an A average but have a B now. Have shot a few high ninetys scorec several times. I tried the weenies and light shot and all that crap. One day I decided to put all my shells in one pocket and watch birds and think about gun mount and swing and shoot shells instead of playing with shells.---Average went up two levels! Watch the big boys---I have---some shoot different loads but most use one shell! Usually the one that a gun company supplies them! I find no problem with this other that I am not good enough to get a sponsor!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.