1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Change shell rules?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Alot has been posted recently about certian shells and advantages or disadvantags. I want to know the following. If a one shell rule was imposed. Who is for it and whos against it. I don't care what size the shell is and I don't want to hear about how one shell shoots better than the other just what you think about everyone having to shoot 1 shell weight of charge and velocity for everyone. I for one think it is fair and that a 1 oz or 7/8 oz would be a good shell to look at.

Joe

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I'm for it.

Either a global mandate for all events or a mandate for just singles or 'caps or doubles.

3. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Smells of communism to me. Maybe next you can only shoot a specific brand out of a specific gun. LOL And will it be 7 1/2 or 8's???????

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I think they should leave it alone. All the people I know that shoot a lighter load are convinced that it doesn't hurt their shooting anyway so nobody should care.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If it's Communism, I'll shoot Stoli one ounce shells to chase targets.

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I'll shoot whatever shell they require. I can miss just as many with 1-1/8oz of shot as 7/8oz. I personally see hard nothing but smoke breaks with the 1oz and 7/8oz. I do load them fast 1300 fps. I will admit that I use 1-1/8oz 1200fps exclusively when shooting caps. JW

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

highflyer Did you read? I said this was not to discuss one shell over another but peoples opinions of th fairness and usefulness of one shell not which one. It's my opinion that with on shell you level the playing field a bit. I want to hear why one shell is bad not one particular shell. Thats another issue.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As soon as the EC properly addresses the present 16 yd. & handicap system, I'll agree to just one type of load.

Curt

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I don't see how will it level the playing field.

At best, forcing a lighter shell as the standard (such as 7/8 ounce) may lower the average scores of the good shooters.

At worst, it will also lower the scores of the less skilled shooters by a larger margin than the good shooters.

The good shooters will still be at the top of the leader board at the end of the day, and there will be a larger spread as you go down the leader board from top to bottom.

It will make the difference between good shooters and less skilled shooters larger, not smaller.

Forcing a standard such as 1-1/8 ounce harms the shooter who wants to use a lighter payload. Why hamstring someone who wants to use a lighter payload even if a heavier payload is allowed?

I don't think it will do what you think it will do.

I am against it.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Gun fitter Did you read?? You ask very nicely not get off on the size shell thing . Then you did it your self Saying I think 1oz. or 7/8 would be good .

ALF

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not see what would be accomplished other than elimination of personal choice. If we went to one shell it would need to reflect what the great majority of shooters prefer and that would be in the range of 1 1/8 oz of shot around 1150-1200 ft/sec. The shooters who like 7/8 and 1 oz loads would not be able to shoot them.

Pat Ireland

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

1 1/8 ounce is kind of a standard 12 gauge load. Very popular. With many autos it is the smallest load recommended by the manufacturer. Leave it alone.

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Against it. Post-2

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

So far it's pretty evenly split some for and some against and a fw who didn't answer I think th score is 5 for 4 against and 2 that have no real answer.

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Flyer has a point I never thought about. Perhaps the real auto guys can wigh in on mods for lighter shells or not?

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

There goes the cheap Walmart 4 packs too. Those same shells that double so well for upland hunting. Those same shells someone new to the sport is going to use.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot 7/8's (or anything else), go head on, no one is stopping you. But, I don't know why I should abide by your decision. Who are you?

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Ok now I didn't want this to be a shell debate just one or another fair or not. Someone said no one would want to change so here's everyone chance to add their two cents worth

Is the current system offer an equal chance to all shooters or favor some more than others.

Who's for? Who's against.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.