1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Change in protocall for military funerals

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by bigbore613, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Subject: President Changes Military Funerals

When I received this email, I could not believe it...
    So, I checked with Snopes... I learned that it is TRUE:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/funeral.asp

There has been a change in U.S. military burial protocol!
    This is a letter that my good friend's husband wrote today after his uncle's funeral yesterday. If Obama does not want his name associated with our military, he does not deserve to be "The President of the United States".
    Alice Frankovitch
    REMEMBER THIS on NOVEMBER 6, 2012

Dear Sean,
    Today I was incensed at the conclusion of a traditional Serbian-Orthodox funeral for my beloved 85-year-old uncle, Daniel Martich, who proudly served in the US Army during the Korean conflict. During the committal service at a Pittsburgh cemetery the local military detachment performed their ritual, then folded and presented the American Flag to my aunt.

As I'm sure you have witnessed during military funerals, a soldier bends to one knee and recites a scripted message to a surviving relative that begins 'On behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation, I wish to present you with this flag in appreciation for your husband's service ...'

However, today the dialogue was 'On behalf of the Secretary of Defense and a grateful nation...' After the service, I approached the soldier who presented the flag to my aunt to inquire about the change in language. His response was: "The White House notified all military funeral service detachments to immediately remove 'the President' and insert 'the Secretary of Defense'.

I couldn't believe what I heard! The soldier just smiled and said, "You can draw your own conclusion, Sir, but that was the order". He, too, was ashamed of what he was required to say. Obama has taken off the gloves. My only response to this endless cesspool of
    anti-American rhetoric dripping from his mouth is to borrow a phrase "with one minor change" uttered by another temporary Washington resident living in government housing (his wife!): "Today for the first time in my adult life, I am ashamed of the current U.S. President!"

I did not serve in the military but my love of country parallels that of
    people like my late uncle who bled red, white and blue. As a second
    generation Serbian-American who's heritage produced many patriotic military men and women who fought for freedom both in the United States as well as in the former Yugoslavia (most recently in Kosovo against the slaughter of Serbs by Muslim extremists), I implore you to make the American people aware of this little-known or, at least, publicly acknowledged fact.

May God Bless you and your family during these difficult times. Your voice of reason is a welcome change from the insanity plastered across the country by the liberal media. Keep up the great work and thank you for your service to our country.

Sincerely,
    John G. Martich
    Weirton, WV

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO FRIENDS
    AND REMEMBER 2012 IS TIME FOR A NEW PRESIDENT
    AND COMMANDER IN CHIEF......

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Snopes

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/funeral.asp

3. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

Big - The Snopes reference does not say the reference is true. It says there is a mixture of truth and falsehoods. BTW, as a young Lieutenant in the Army, I was an Honor Guard Commander, and buried more than my share of kids coming back from RVN.

John

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

BigBore -

Really, you checked Snopes? And you found it TRUE (caps yours, not mine).

Did you even both to read the information on Snopes? You really should go back and re-read (or read for the first time) the information contained in Snopes. I'm not saying it's right, but you seem to be relying on it, so if you are going to rely on it you ought to at least read it before posting about it.

Some relevant passages . . .

MIXTURE (not TRUE as you stated)

"Only a commissioned officer in the United States military can technically speak for the President of the United States"

"It may be of further note that this initiative was taken by the U.S. Military, not by an act of the President. The change happened in 2007 under then-President George W. Bush".

I'm not a fan of the current president either, but this stuff makes "our side" seem like just as big a bunch of idiots as those who support the president.

Scott

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Well said Scott! Jon

6. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Before everybody gets their shorts in a wad, you need to read the source…

FM 22-5, DRILL AND CEREMONIES, 9-30 r

old way

“This flag is presented on behalf of a grateful nation, as a token of our appreciation for the honorable and faithful service rendered by your loved one.”

new way
    FM 3-21.5 (FM 22-5) 14-5 q

“As a representative of the United States Army, it is my high privilege to present to you this flag. Let it be a symbol of the grateful appreciation our nation feels for the distinguished service rendered to our country and our flag by your
    loved one.”

Don't add BS to it....

Grubby

US Army retired

if this has changed again, cite the paragraph...

7. RMR

RMR Member

'On behalf of the Secretary of Defense and a grateful nation...'

This is true how it is currently said. My 90 year old dad died 2/6/12 and was burried at Ft Sheridan Army base's cemetry for officers on 2/10/12. He served in WW2, Korea and Vietnam prior to retiring from the Navy as a captain.

I was standing next to my mother when the sailor who knelt down next to her, to hand her the flag told her exactly what was said in this post. I always thought that they said "on behalf of the president....." but he clearly said " on behalf of the secreatry of defense......."

I didnt know enough to ask and at the time had enough other thoughts/emotions going on to not hardly notice it until I saw tis tread.

Bob Radasch

8. MR870

MR870 Member

SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yes I said it!That really burns my butt that that SOB has has the gall to do that!

9. scott calhoun

MR870 -

Are you referring to Bush to BigBore613?

Scott

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Grubby is correct as far as I know

Whether or not someone ads something to this is not controlled by the President of the United States.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. porky

porky TS Member

Bozo is destroying this country from within taking away traditions and diverification. Divide and conquer.

12. scott calhoun

Git-ER -

Which Bozo are you referring to? You did read the entire thread, right?

Scott

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The bad part is he's not finished. He still has 11 months to still screw us all over. VOTE THE BASTARD OUT IN NOV.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Scott as you can see you are wasting your writing talents trying to make some of these not heads understand.

Bob Lawless

15. Mark T

Mark T TS Member

I agree with Bigbore. This is true!

Recently we lost my wife's aunt who served in WWII. She was in the waves.

She was literally a part of history in that she was the person who typed up the letter to the Sullivan family who lost their 5 sons at Guadalcanal on the cruiser Juneau on November 11, 1942. When public sympathy swelled, the Navy ruled that brothers could not serve aboard the same vessel.

At her military funeral dialogue was the same 'On behalf of the Secretary of Defense and a grateful nation...' this is nothing but a disgrace and a lack of respect to those who serve this great country.

Her brother is also a part of history in that he was one of the photographers who took many of the videos of the liberation of the concentration camps in Germany.

When he hears people talk about how bad things are he always says "you don't know what bad is, I have seen it and I don't care to ever see it again".

With all of this said I can honestly say that when we had the absolute pleasure of being with the two of them the stories and memories they talked about were extremely interesting. It was like having a talking history book at your disposal. I will always cherish the time I was able to be in the same room with them. Not many of us have the opportunity to be associated with people who are a part of history but when we do we should thank them for their service and listen to what they have to say because they were there.

16. scott calhoun

Mark -

Nobody said it wasn't true, it's just not completely true.

The OP checked Snopes but didn't read the entire summary, so failed to realize that the current president didn't have anything to do with it. Additional posters like MR870, Git-er-done, and Auctioneer jumped on the bandwagon without reading any of the information other than the original post. Git-er-done even started another thread about the current president storming out of a budget meeting and kicking a door open, not realizing it was a skit from Saturday Night Live. Whoops!

Used to be the saying was "if it's printed in the newspaper, it must be true". Now it's "I read it on the internet (or got an email) so it must be true". I'm guessing a lot of these people are the same ones that respond to the Nigerian lottery emails.

Scott

17. Auctioneer

Scott, you had better open your eyes and take a good look at what we have as a Pre. Also what he has done and hasn't done. If you think he is so good just wait before he gets kicked out of office. He will then be foaming at the mouth to get what he wants. Remember, a wounded animal is more dangerous then any other animal.

18. scott calhoun

Auctioneer -

I knew one of you would come along and prove everthing that I said. Read the my prior posts (as I type this I'm not sure why I typed it, because you obviously haven't read any of the prior posts on this thread so I'm not sure what makes me think you would start now).

Scott

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

If I can get to the Base next week Ill see if I can find out what the presenter says to the family..

20. Auctioneer

Scott I take it you voted for Obama and now think he can do no wrong. Well he has done alot wrong and will not stop till we get his alien ass out of the office he shouldn't be in.

Being that you like him so much, have you put your stupidity on your bumper yet? Thats an 2012 Obama bumper sticker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.