1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

change in H366 primer seat pad?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by omgb, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I ordered a new primer seat pad for one of my early Hornady 366 presses. When it arrived it was very different from the original. First, it lacked the ledge that kept the seater pad from pushing through to the base of the press over which the hulls travel. If you insert it, it just pops up through the hole and blocks the shell from traveling over it. Second, it has a small pin glued into a short groove cut into its side. It looks as if this is to register the primer receptacle hole so that it faces only one way and cannot spin. Unfortunately, there is no corresponding slot milled into the press so that there is no way to insert that pad without removing the pin. Anyone else noticed this? One final point, the wad seater I ordered came in looking nice and it fit but now they are made of aluminum not steel as before.

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Filing a channel still will not prevent the new base from popping up through the base assemble. The new part still lacks the ring around the base that keeps it from rising above the rim of the base plate. I'll bet I have to buy a new base.

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

You can adjust the amount of the die that protrudes above the base by adjusting the small nut in the center of the new primer seating die. The problem is that you can only adjust it when the die is removed from the base casting. This may take several tries.

Be careful when you screw the seater die back into the base since the die is steel and the base is rather soft aluminum. It is easy to get it cross threaded and the die's threads will destroy those in the base very quickly.

The best solution is to get a new base since that has integrated auto shell advance, swing out wad guide and auto shell eject. These really speed up loading.

If you chose to install the seater die in the existing base, get a small round file and file the required notch in the base. The pin seated in the notch keeps the top of the die from rotating and allows the primer to fall into the die consistanly. Filing this notch is very smple since the base is soft aluminum. A cheap file will do it in a vert few strokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

366 primer pad pops