1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

change comb height??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Do you change your comb height between 16'a and handicaps? If so why? or do you mentally change your sight picture of the bird bead relationship between 16's and handicaps? IF you change your comb height do you raise or lower it when you move from 16's to handicaps?
    thanks
    mike t

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

No, I try to shoot a little under 16 yard targets, and right on 27 yard targets. Seems to work, I tried the other way, It was to much hassel.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not. I hold a lower gun and try to swing to handicap targets faster. I hope the increased gun speed takes care of things. Sometimes it does but often it does not. If I were to change my comb height, I would not remember to lower it again after shooting handicap. After several shoots my comb could fall off because I have raised it so much.

Pat Ireland

4. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

I would like to hear from the shooters and stock fitters that use/fit a 'Turkish' without adjustable comb.

There are two shooters that make me grin. The Skeet Shooter who changes his lens tint 3 or 4 times during a sub event. The Trapshooter at the GAH who adjust his rib and/or stock between sub events. Earl

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

I set my point of impact for handicap and use the same settings for singles and doubles. Don't worry your onboard computer will take care of the differences in POI.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes I raise my comb when I go from 16s to handicap. The reason is gravity effects the point of impact. The longer the time of flight of the shot string the more you have to raise your comb.

Pat,
    Using your method I think you would be better off shooting trap on the Moon. HMB

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Sorry....I find it hard to believe such a question was even posed!

8. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Mike T

A while back I took a clinic from Phil Kiner. He has us add between 1/16th and 1/8th inch thick spacer when we switched from sngls to 27yrd hdcp. Phil said, "try it, if it feels better or makes more smoke then it's better." The process Phil had us go through is described in his articles in Trap and Field and in his newest DVD. Basically we shot from 16 yrd line and adjusted poi until we smoked the target. He also video taped this so we could see the results played back in slow-motion (you could see the shot string cutting through the target). Then we went back to the hdcp line and repeated the process. Most of us added spacers to raise the comb and POI. You may want to consider watching Phil's video and giving t a try. I hope this helps you.

Good Shooting

Gavin

9. mike T

mike T Member

thanks Gavin
    sonething to try for the new year

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you shoot trap on the moon, gravity is not that much of a problem. HMB

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Earl could you explain why raising your comb as recommended by Mr Kiner "one of the dumbest ideas ever."

I value your opinion on this topic so please be precise when explaining your reasoning. I really do want to understand.

Smash Em,

Jerry

12. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Earl, I hope you're trolling with the stupid comments you put on these threads. I hope anyone who is here looking for legitimate help realizes your advice is contrary to good trapshooting and considers where this advice is coming from. You have said in other threads that you are learning this game and are a B/C class singles shooter, this surely doesn't qualify you to spout the things you do. Your posts should be labeled FWIW or IMHO to warn some poor soul that might assume you know of what you speak. You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, the old adage says to use them in that proportion.<br>
    Harv Shell 0111535

13. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

So Earl, according to you when teaching a new shooter how to shoot handicap you'd just tell them to just shoot away because it's in their heads? Oh yeah and practice a allot.

There are basic geometrical differences between the 16 yard line and handicap yardages that are exacerbated as you move backward. I won't go into a long explanation because it's boring but saying "just do it" is not going to work for most people.

I'm firmly in the Kiner camp. He has the aptitude to teach and the qualifications.

I bet if you took a poll of the "good" shooters many of them subscribe to the Kiner theory. I shoot from the 27 and do not change my stock only because my gun shoots a bit high at 16 yards and I'm too lazy to change spacers but the theory that Phil espouses is true and he's proved it to me many times.

To each his own I guess.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have been on the 27 since the early 90's' and have used 6 diff. guns. In each case, I have added 1 shim for handicap. Not because I want to, I shoot better scores. Experts should list there averages/ATA #.

15. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

Deleted

16. canada

canada Member

i have never changed my comb/rib from singles to handicap. i also dont conciously change my sight picture. just my two cents on the subject.

Pat Lamont

17. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Earl, if you know why there is a perponderance of 90% scores in ATA singles, why don't you apply that knowledge and join them. Every bit of advice you give is wrong. Just please put your ATA # with your name on your posts so some unsuspecting person on here can compare your averages to Phil's or whoever else you may be running down to see who they should give credence to. Good luck with your shooting. <br>
    Harv Shell

18. split shot

split shot TS Member

I once took a Phil course. One thing he said that sticks out is "never take advice from a class "D" All American." LOL

I think that's what we have here in Earl the expert.

Hey Earl just think of how many practice shells you could save if you actually knew what you were doing.

As a previous posted noted, what is your ATA number??

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Earl.... I was stuck on the 25 yard line for a long time and just couldn't seem to get back to the 27 again, no matter what I tried. I, too, read about Phil Kiner's method of adding a spacer to the comb for handicap some years ago but felt, much as you do, that it would not help at all so why bother. After yet another dismal season at the 25, I took the plunge and called Phil on the phone. I explained to him what was happening and that I had "hit the wall" at the 25 and needed his help. After talking for about 15 minutes or so, he suggested I add a 1/16" spacer to my comb and give it a try. He told me that if I broke the targets better with that spacer, add another 1/16", and so on until I was smoking them from the 27. Well, Earl, I followed his advice. I started adding spacers to my comb and found that 3/32" was the amount I needed to really "get into" my handicap targets. I made the 26yd line two months after talking to Phil, and, finally, the 27 once again shortly thereafter. My handicap scores are better now than they have ever been. My current averages are .974% for singles, .940% for doubles, and I'm now a solid 27yd. shooter. My total average, over 8000 registered PITA targets in 2007, combining all three events, was .9130%. I have well over 100,000 registered PITA targets shot so I think I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. I'm curious, what are your current averages? The reason I ask is that I really would like to know what qualifies you to make the statements you made. As you can plainly see, I'm a definate subscriber to Phil's advice. Will it work for everyone? I don't know for sure, but I would have to say this: If you are on the 25 yard line or so and stuck there, wouldn't it be nice to find out that something as easy as adding a spacer or two to your comb for handicap would enable you to shoot better scores?.

I think that Harv Shell is right on target with his statement regarding your response, "I hope anyone who is here looking for legitimate help realizes your advice is contrary to good trapshooting and considers where this advice is coming from. You have said in other threads that you are learning this game and are a B/C class singles shooter, this surely doesn't qualify you to spout the things you do. Your posts should be labeled FWIW or IMHO to warn some poor soul that might assume you know of what you speak". Now, I don't mean to belittle you, Earl, or your response here. I do, however, think it is imparative for all of us to try to keep our advice, suggestions, comments, etc. based on known facts, what works, and what is accepted as standard practice when it comes to our sport. There are several new, and beginning shooters that frequest this site ready to devour any advice we give them. Let's all try to help them, in any way we can, to avoid the same mistakes and pitfalls we experienced when we started. If we don't have the right answer, or are not sure, we should either refrain from responding, or direct the question to someone that can actually help.

Just my opinion.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Earl...... Mr. Shell included his ATA number with his response, above. Perhaps you missed it? It is #0111535.......Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.