1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

champion targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by garage tech, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garage tech

garage tech Member

Are champion targets really that bad. They have been around a long time but i dont know of any one who throws them around north west Ohio??? I am installing a trap for home use and need to decide what targets to throw. There is a $60 dollar differance between White Fliers and Champions per pallet.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You may as well try them because you wont be able to buy white flyers anyway. I just bought a pallet of Bios and see no probs so far

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you drop a case by accident you won't have to worry about breakage.

4. garage tech

garage tech Member

Shooting hard targets might make me a better shot or at least force me to use a full choke.

5. rsikole

rsikole Member

Lakeland in Stony Ridge and Blackwing use champion targets in OH.

The suckers are relatively tough to break!

I collected a few at Lakeland one evening with as many as 7 hits from pellets, some leaving holes in them (in both the rim and the dome). The pieces knocked out by shot would have been very small and nearly impossible to see, yet the targets remained in tact. I've seen them get pushed around and dusted a lot, especially if you shoot 8's in the winter.

If you shoot them in the winter, they are especially tough to break, compared to either White Flyer or Lawry targets.

6. Terry L A

Terry L A TS Member

With the current problems with pitch supply, champion targets shoot a lot better than no targets! We have shot them at our small club and they work ok. Our club prefers White Flyer but at $2.00 per case more and not sure if they will be available, we went with some champion. We just shoot fun shoots-no registered. Terry

7. whopper1

whopper1 Member

Our supplier delivered a truckload of Champion targets to our club. No one realized the issues with them. We quickly lost about half of our shooters.
    We finally used them all and have replaced them with Lawry targets and the crowd is starting to return. My advise is to avoid them a all costs

Dave

8. rsikole

rsikole Member

As an addenda to my earlier post, I want to add that I recently shot some Champion targets, and these were definitely from a new formulation or manufacturing process.

The targets smoked nicely with #8 shot, and behaved more like White Flyers than what I had previously experienced.

I shot them a few weeks ago without noticing, and when I was told that Champions were what I shot, I did not really believe it. Then I shot them again last night, and they have definitely changed something in either the materials used or the manufacturing process or both.

Rob

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Good one Joe.

A thought:

Why are Champions so hard to break? Manufacturing process, materials, mental block?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.