1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Champion of Champion / Handicap fiasco

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JEB, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEB

JEB Active Member

About half way into the Champion of Champions event, shooters were called to the line to start the Crow Handicap. Consequently many competitors is the C of C missed the first trap or two in the handicap and had to shoot makeup. The rules state that you had to do the makeup from the exact post you were shooting in the event, so at one point at least 4 people were backed up to shot on post 3. Many of the makeups were done with people shooting by themselves. That is no way to run a Grand event. These were Champions that had to shoot part of a handicap by themselves just because they were Champions.

I was told that "this is the way we have always done it, and every hour costs $3,000." If there is a problem at work and I am told something like that, I have one less employee the next day. A simple solution would be to have the doubles first, then shoot the handicap, and finally the Champion of Champions. The traps would already be set, sure it is at the end of the day and people are tired, but there would be plenty of time to finish the event AND NO SOLO MAKEUPS for a major Grand American event. How about some new thinking!

JEB

2. bas

bas Member

There used to only be one other event on Thursday. Not two. That made it not so rushed. Anyone who is shooting in the CofC should try and make sure they do not get on the first or second wave of the next event. Last year they called the handicap when we were still on our second field. But, I agree, the event should be able to finish without shooters having to make up targets.

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Thought you could not have two events running at the same time according to the rule book????

I cannot find such a rule now, but thought I saw past discussions about this subject on this site.

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

5. rw993

rw993 Active Member

If you can't run it right and keep it fair for all, then DON'T DO IT.....

RW

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

This falls on the tournament director. He needs replaced now! He should have been replaced after his first year. This guy is Hal duPont's toady.

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I recall hearing the TD has been replaced. Jake

8. markc2

markc2 Member

No event should be started until the previous event has been completed... anywhere, period. We have had constant problems at our state shoot over the same issue. Shooters miss 25 or 50 targets because tournament directors allow one event to be started before the prior event is complete. When you squad there is no one saying "hey, we're going to start the handicap event before we finish with the singles". You stand in line, get your squads, often taking whatever squads are availble. The management (or lack thereof) decides to start an event before another is complete, and BINGO, you end up making up targets. Starting an event before the prior event is finished is simply bad management. Markc2.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

This is the best and biggest shoot we have! Are we truly in this big of a hurry to "get it over" or completed that we cause harm to a fellow competitor? Having to shoot a make up trap or two alone isn't the best thing our sport can come up with as a fix for hurry or is it?

If I shoot another Grand, it will be with 4 others that like following our setting rule and not with people that shoot anything thrown down the pike.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.