1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Champion Clay Targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by roofdan, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roofdan

roofdan TS Member

Process of buying a trailer load of clays and would like someone's imput on Champion clays. We have been using white flyers. Cost is a big factor on the decision to switch. Please any help will be appreciated. We are getting low on targets and need to order.Thanks for any information.
    Dan Samson

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If you are a small club & don't have registered shoots,buy anything. If you intend to have registered shoots, buy what most fo the other clubs in your area throw. I've heard that some shooters have refused to shoot at clubs who are having registered shoots & do not throw White Flyers.

Lou

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It will money wisely spent to buy something other than Champion targets, regardless of how much extra!

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Palatka (skeet club) in Florida uses them.

A little harder than White Flyers and Lawry. I don't think they fly as straight under windy conditions, but that could just be me. I only shot at them for skeet.

A few years back I was at a club that shot White Flyers for registered shoots and for all other activities they used Lawry targets.

Satisifed those who only wanted the best for registered shoots, but also saved the club from having to raise prices.

5. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

try pricing lawry targets.................

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I much prefer White Flyer targets over both Champion and Lawry targets. I suggest that if you end up with Champion targets, hide the target boxes.

Pat Ireland

7. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I am an SCTP coach and a beginning trapshooter myself. We have shot at Champions, Remington STS's, and White Flyers. In my experience, the Champions are the worst. Black edges make it difficult to see if you have thick trees at the back of the range and the target shows little face when thrown. Champions are smooth on the face and don't have the stippling of the White Flyers, so the face doesn't even have anything to focus on. Orange to me is not as bright as other brands.

One of our facilities had a lot of stock of Champions to use in the machines, but I ended up going to Wal-Mart and just buying Remington STS's because even the Remington targets were a brighter orange and at least had some ridges to look at. My experience as a coach and trapshooter at this is that solid orange White Flyers are the easiest to see and break. Of course, Champions are better than nothing if you don't have anything to shoot.

8. roofdan

roofdan TS Member

I have read your responses to my inquiery and have not really heard the reason why I should not buy Champions. Is it because they are too hard. We shot them today and they broke fine and the color is the same. The weight is a very slight heavier. I have been told that the dimples in the white flyers are there to make it break easier.(??)
    I really appreciate the info you are passing on. Thanks for any info
    Dan Samson

9. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

RoofDan: If you look at the box up in the corner I have seen the enviromentally safe bird on the box I believe they are of somewhat the same type of bio-degradable bird as the white flyers were I feel they are harder to break we don't use them any more at our club at this time we went to the white flyers since there are no STS targets available they were the ones that broke and smoked to bad they are not making them right now.By the white flyers and if you go to white flyers web site you can see the different kinds of targets they make for different back grounds so you can see what they offer. Give you're shooters and customers a target they can shoot and you will have alot of shooters coming back and bringing someone with them. Pat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.