1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Champion brand targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whopper1, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whopper1

whopper1 Member

Anybody have any experience with Champion brand targets? Our club shoots games only and the scores have dropped drastically since we received a new truckload of Champion targets. Previous to these, we were shooting Lawry brand targets.
    The new targets seem to get hit and not break as evidenced by targets that are "dusted". We shot last night and out of 10 protector shoots there was only one score of ten out of ten. Typically we have anywhere from two to six teams involved in a shootoff. Any experience ?

Dave

2. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Last winter we ran out of targets and picked up several cases of Champions, even at 16yds we found they were tough to break. I usually average 23 or so and I shot a 15, another good shooter shot a 14. We went out and picked up targets that had multiple holes and chips but did not break even when they hit the frozen ground.

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

My club uses White Flyer targets.

What is the price per case of 135 of Champion targets?

Thanks.

Allen

4. whopper1

whopper1 Member

I dont know the price-we bought a truckload as that is what our supplier had in stock. It's amazing how bad the scores have gotten from a bunch of very experienced shooters. These are guys that have been shooting for a long time and also at the same club. The only thing that has changed is the targets. I also noticed a change in speed. Our targets are normaqlly 42 MPH as clocked from a radar gun and the Champions were flying out of the house at about 45MPH.

Dave

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Left over hubcaps... there designed to survive the hand throwers....

Weigh some. I'd suggest Nitro 27's and SuperHandicap 7 1/2's.

A truckload? Oh, dear...

They are the only ones hard enough to survive or even suggest a nested pair where another target is thrown inside...

6. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Absolute junk, and in my opinion have been the downfall of at least one large Ohio club and many smaller ones, who just couldn't stand the (minimal) extra cost and effort to purchase a better quality target.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Never any good!!

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Each box of Champions comes with a small hammer, guess why? The nice thing about Champion targets is that you can pick them up and use them over, and over, and over, and ...... the lawn mower won't even break them.

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

They seem less consistent than White Flyers.

I've shot at some Champion targets, "at" being the operative word, and got kind of leary of them.

At other times and places they have worked great, breaking when they should and smoking when you do your job.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Our club would not have been able to handle the zone shoot unless they shot White Flyer Targets, that was a stipulation form the state assoc...

You want to hold the shoot, you throw White Flyer Targets.

GB
    DLS

11. oleolliedawg

Bring back Remingtons! Best color and smoked!!

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I won't shoot a club that throws those bricks.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Champions are produced for clubs who are unable to extend their walks to the 30 yd line.

They are also excellent for reducing the number of shootoffs!

They were also designed to spur sales of Nitro27s and AA HCP for singles.

;-)

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A hard target. A club I know switched to Lawry and shooters are pleased with the change.

15. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Wish you would have done your research before the purchase. I am a Federal/Champion/ATK fan but their targets completely suck. Our club had many problems with them around six or seven years ago and Champion just could have cared less. We changed to white flyers and all problems went away and scores increased. I recently observed a Champion target get hit very hard, shoving it off its flight path a foot or more to one side and never even broke in half.

16. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Two or three years ago we couldn't get enough WF targets so we bought Champions. We set the machines on the T and the 50 yd stake as well as ensured we had 42 on the speedgun.

Not one shooter complained or noticed the difference. We've gotten a pallet or two over the years and have had no issues with them either.

Personally I think it's a lame excuse to blame a target.

Just my opinion

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Your all set!! Just disregard the opinions of anyone telling you they suck!!!!

good luck with your ill advised purchase....imho

18. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Federal makes a great product. But Champion targets isn't one of them. They should be sold to Walmart hand trap throwers only!

19. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I an not giving just my opinion---just first hand experience. Forgot to add earlier that we have Outers/Champion brand traps which overall we have been happy with. When we were having major problems, Champion wanted us to spend several hundred dollars per trap for an "upgrade" to make the Champion targets work. Guess what? We went to white flyers and all the problems instantly went away. Again, Champion wanted us to spend monies on their manufactured trap to be compatible with their manufactured target to make it work correctly.

20. oleolliedawg

I once saw the late Frank Little pull out of a shoot in MD when Federal targets were thrown. Frank knew a bit about targets!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.