1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chamber rust removal?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JDinTX, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

How would one remove a little rust from the chamber area? Also has anyone ever tried to make the bore shiny again like when it was new? Thanks JD

2. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

If its very light, you might want to try some fine steel wood wrapped on a stick and put in a drill. If very heavy, a cylinder hone in a drill works pretty good. Treat it first with PB rust buster or something of that sort to get the breakdown process started. Hit it with a chamber brush in a drill (this might do it), wipe it dry and start the above procedures.
    Dan

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Very fine steel wool (such as 000 or 0000) wrapped around a bore brush and chucked into your drill will work well for polishing both the chamber and the bore. I usually put a little lightweight oil on the steel wool.

4. stockguru

stockguru TS Member

RUST CAN BE REMOVED VIA A MANDREL, abrasive paper media AND DRILL MOTOR....DON'T DO IT YOURSELF. If you are not the well versed, guru gunsmith, you can easily ruin it. Barrels can be refurbished to , litterally, like new condition as long as the tolerance is acceptable for doing so. This can be done by either honing, or in the worst can, boring and honing. AGAIN...DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. Just don't do it....

5. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Thanks for the info. The rust is pretty light so I think I'll try the steel wool treatment first. I know I have some 0000 at home already. JD

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brownells actually sells several chamber polishing devices

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.