1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chamber Rust and Cleaning it up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have removed chamber rust with a scotch bright pad (the least abrasive color)and oil. It was a very light rust layer that hadn't pitted the metal.

I now make sure to mop the barrel good with oil on all my guns the day they are fired.

ss

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Coat the chamber with "Barricade" or "Corrosion-X" and don't store the gun in the case.

MK

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

TinMan88- Rust is caused by loss of electrons in the steel to an outside agent that will accept electrons. Water has some H+ ions in it and they will grab the negative electrons. Many other substances have + ions and they will also cause rust. The only way to prevent rust is to keep the gun away from anything that will accept the electrons from the steel or keep a protective barrier (oil) that prevents the + ions from contacting the steel.

Pat Ireland

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

And when it gets too bad, Briley can sleeve the chamber for $275.

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I had a BT99 when I first started shooting that would rust immediately if you were using plastic shells. (Chamber).

Someone suggested wiping the gun and chamber with Rig.

Cured the problem. Also, paper shells helped.

Regards....Gerald

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Ikeeep all my shooting guns in soft cases. Why are soft cases more prone to cause rust that hard cases?

Phil Berkowitz

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

storing guns in a closed case of any kind will come back to bite you. They need to breath. I learned my lesson once. This is especially true in humid climates like the midwest. Out here in the west it does not seem to be an issue

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><i>"which scotch bright is the least abrasive, and where do you buy it?"</i></blockquote><I>McMaster-Carr sells Scotch-Brite #7448</i> or the equivalent grade in the generic pads. Always use with some sort of lubrication (oil, mineral spirits, etc.)

I've pulled this page out of the web site directory. It has lost some of it's links to the rest of the site so "Back" doesn't work. Pull the web site up using the home link and navigate to the product on your own if you want to buy it. You can also call them. They are terrific folks to work with no matter what size your order.

MK

9. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Use a bronze brush chucked in a hand drill and have at it with a few drops of oil. Some might cringe at using fine steel wool wrapped around the bronze brush with oil but give that a try if scotch brite does not work for you.

10. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Tinman88 - the product you are talking about is ospho sold by Sherwin Williams and others. It is a phosphoric acid solution that is said to neutralize rust. We use it and it works great. Yes, it does turn any rust on the metal black. Ospho will neutralize rust but it will not stop the item from rusting in the future. Ospho is not a primer or paint. You must provide other protection after using it. I have not tried this solution on blued metal or finished wood and do not know how it would react but the work acid makes me not wanting to find out.

11. jhh

jhh Member

Something that I have used on chambers and Briley choke tubes for a few years now is a Remington product called 40-X bore cleaner. Haven't seen a down side to it. I shoot my rifles so little that I haven't used it on them. Instructions are on the bottle, it is available in my town at Wall Mart. Regards, John Hancock

12. jhh

jhh Member

Per my previous post, the Rem 40-X is for cleaning the rust out of the chamber. Oil then to keep it out, Regards, John Hancock

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The above link is a test Brownell's did on products for rust prevention.

Wayne

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Remember this...each time you see rust, there will be a pit, AND each time you remove the rust, you have just removed a small portion of metal.

The best option the first time you see the rust is to remove it by any of the suggestions above, then always after each shooting and as soon as possible, oil the bore and chamber.

Do not under any circumstances begin an attempt to polish the chamber with any type of grit paper of cloth. The chamber will become oversize leading to a sticky empty hull situation. Also, polishing the chamber could lead to a problem if you do eventually need to have a sleeve installed. The sleeves are cut to SAAMI specs, and it could be possible to have a step deeper into the chamber where the oversized bore is larger than the newly cut sleeve.

About the maximum for an oversized chamber is .820", measured just below the rim cut.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.