1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Challenger Shotshells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if the Challenger Shotshells are still available? I have some spent hulls from them that are quite a few years old. Just wondered if they still make them and where one could buy some? Where did they rank in the shotshell picture(cheap, good, expensive)? The hulls i have were aquired at the Grand in 2006 i believe.
    [​IMG]

2. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

They ar made in Canada
    about 70$ CDN a flat
    got 5 flats in early spring and I thing it reale good.Just my opinion
    Salutations
    Pierre

3. grntitan

Pierre--I guess beings that they are made in Canada would answer why i can't find them for sale here in the midwest. Price wise appears in the STS, Winchester AA and Federal class. Thanks for the info.--Matt

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Leo was on their shell program for a spell. He doesn't shoot them anymore. Brad D. says they were junk! Clyde

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I believe it was Graf and Sons who were importing them. They stopped and that ended the US sale of to date.

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Never shot a lot of them, but thought they performed well. I broke 200 straight with them at the 2001 Nebraska State shoot. I purchased them here at a local gun and pawn shop. Wouldn't have any qualms about shooting them again if I could find them around here at a reasonable price.

Steve

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

One place there sold is the Montreal Skeet Club. The owner is also part owner of Challenger.

They had a trap shoot a few weeks ago, shells were going for reduced price as part of the shoot.

Not a dirty shell. I think a little hotter then advertised. All I know if I was having problems with my 1100 I could switch to Challenger and all cycling problems disappeared.

I run into a lot of Quebec and Ontario shooters using them for sporting clays.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot over 100 flats of them and never had a problem ... They were a good shell for the money but probably can't buy them now for what we were paying for them back then ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

They are owned by Cheddite so use that data if you are interesting in reloading the hulls.

TB

10. grntitan

Seems like the brass on the Challenger hulls i have are very low. Not sure that would matter as reloading is concerned. Just an observation. I haven't really thought serious about reloading them because i have all the STS/Nitro hulls i need. I didn't know the Leo once used them as a part of their said "Shell Program". I collect odd hulls and many of them like the Challenger i had never heard of. I'm sure many of you guys have seen them all or most of them though. Kinda of a fun low cost hobby as most are considered trash to others. My wife is thrilled with all the hulls stuck everywhere. LOL

Thanks for all the input.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Saw some hulls on the ground at the MO State Shoot. Tall brass. Same tube.

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

They are assembled in Quebec using Cheditte materials. Graff's did import them into the USA. They are a very good quality shell using premium components. There are folks around here that will pay the premium for them. When the main ammo manufacturers lower their prices, he can't compete with those prices.

I think I still have a couple of flats of Challenger papers. Bill Malcolm

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wasn't the Challenger ammo supposed to have a super hard shot loaded in them? Harder even than Remington's great shot? Harder shot makes for great patterns at clay breaking distances!!

Hap

14. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The shot was / is very hard. I don't know the % of antimony. It was also very shinny. They made some super fast sporting clay stuff which had golden shot. Bill Malcolm

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If I ever run across some of the Challenger ammo, I will test the hardness with compression along with some Rem shot for comparison. I think the Rem shot is 6 to 7 percent antimony.

Years back there was a company that made some of the hardest shot I've ever used, called Azarco shot. We had it tested for antimony precent and Rockwell hardness at EAFB, it was 8%. Best patterns I ever shot was with that shot.

Hap

16. Shawn

Shawn Member

They advertise there premium shells are 8% Antimony.

Shawn

17. grntitan

Hap--If you do stumble upon some, grab me a few boxes for my collection. I'll pay you whatever they are asking. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
challenger ammo
challenger ammo review
challenger ammunition
challenger ammunition review

challenger shotgun shells

challenger shotgun shells review

challenger shotshells

challenger target load review