1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chalking your rib?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone do this?

I've read about it a couple times, supposed to help you maintain the "awareness" of where your gun is when your shooting under the lights.

I have a delrin add-on rib on my gun, so I doubt chalk would take, but I could buy some tape to play with that would have the same effect...

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

the chalk gets in the grooves. Just do it if you think it'll help. Probably wise to see what it looks like b4 you shoot off. It did't help me, but I can understand the concept of contrast and how it may help some.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chalking a rib will tend to dray your attention to the rib and away from the bird. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Pat Ireland

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Probably 20 years ago when night shooting was still allowed in my area the experienced floodlight shooters used to swear by 'chalking' the last 4-6inches of rib. Never shot it, never tried it, can't expain it, but the guys that did were not stupid and won more than their share. Kind Regards-Graham.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I first saw this at the Grand some 30 years ago. Never tried it, but it sure worked for the guy then. He won under the lights.

Hauxfan!

6. philk

philk Member

Can`t believe with the way the ivory beads light up at night under the lights you would need anything else.

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What color chalk did they use? Seriously!

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Light fluorescing strips used the same way as chalk or light pipes works very good if you see them in your peripheral vision only. Taking your eyes away from the target is a sin that must be paid for in full immediately! "LOST" Regardless of what happens to be on the rib/barrel or nothing at all!! Hap

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Saw this years ago when I shot in North Carolina, the Skeet Shooters would do this under the lights during shoot offs. Tried it myself did not see any diff. Need to keep your eye on the target and not the barrel!

Ronbo

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I did the same thing in the 70`s when we shot a mixed league -- skeet and trap under the lights . Seemed to work for me then but I never gave it a thought until I saw this thread . Now I am happy with the Truglow Red Fluorecent front bead and have that on all my guns .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.