1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chainsaw Problems Stihl MS362

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by InsureGuy, Jun 26, 2013.

1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

I am relatively new to chainsaw ownership. This evening I cut down a hard maple at church and I had a brand-new chain in a brand-new blade on the chainsaw. At first it cut like a dream but as I went on the chainsaw seem to have gotten dull though all sudden. I noticed that the chain in the bar or smoking. After I left the chainsaw cool down I started cutting again and it started cutting okay, But after a short while it did not seem to want to cut again the chain looked exceptionally loose. After sitting for five minutes and cooling down the chain had tightened up again. The chain now has a blue cast to it so I know I got it too hot. I checked the oil her and make sure it was spitting oil out but apparently it was not going fast enough. Have I ruined another bar and chain question ???

Jason

2. skeetfield

skeetfield Member

I would guess your chain is too tight and/or your oiler is not working.

3. logndog

logndog TS Member

You might have hit something in the tree or somehow dulled your chain. When a chain gets dull it causes friction which heats the chain thus stretching it. When it cools down it retracts. I am a logger plus I used to work for Stihl.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Chains get dull. Depending on how big the tree and what kind of wood it is, they can dull faster than you'd hope for. I have 4 good chains I keep sharp and change em when I notice I'm doing more work than the saw is. You really shouldn't have to work at all if your saw is running and cutting right. It's also important to keep the right tension on the chain. New chains(especially cheap ones) stretch especially fast. And finally the bar oil is very crucial. Sometimes the sawdust mixed with the bar oil can clog or partially clog the oiler hole. I learned a long time ago a clean saw is a happy saw. I take it apart and blow it out thoroughly after use with my air compressor. When you notice your saw us not cutting good, stop and address the issue then instead of waiting until you completely ruin the chain. Tough to tell what your problems are with the saw without seeing it in person but I think you know where to start.

There are a few fellas on here that dropped trees for a living. They should also offer some helpful advice. I'm just a long time firewood tree hack. :)

Also avoid cutting too close to the ground where the saw can pick up dirt and grit which will play hell on the chain and bar. Too many people try and make the stump ground level. It's rough on the equipment.

5. mich746

mich746 Member

Jason,
    You have a very good saw. Check that the oil holes in the bar are clean. You should be using a tank of oil per tank of gas. You can increase the oil flow if needed. Your chain should be snug but not tight and will get a little lose when they get hot. Really doubt if you hurt anything, chains can be sharpened and bars can be dressed up if need. DO NOT let the bar hit the ground, that will dull a chain fast. Do a little home work on the Stihl websight or see your local dealer, very easy to sharpen your chain with the proper files.

Your Stihl will serve you well.

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Not to sound like a smartass, but is your chain going in the right direction? Don't laugh, it happens. I have used small amounts of 10W motor oil mixed with the bar oil to flush the oiler line. It usually works. Larry

7. sharhope

sharhope Member

I work on stihls a lot.As stated above get the bar off use correct bar oil and chain width likely 3/8. You have a modern saw but the oil pump can fail or the oil line can become detached.

8. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

I love this chainsaw but it's not going through an tank of oil as quickly as a tank of gas. I turned the oiler up to Max and I'm still not using that much oil. The chainsaw is a commercial grade that I chose simply because I want to have the best when I go Cutwood. I clean the Salk every time I use it and those oil ports are always clean when I start. I'm going to take it and have it checked out in the morning to make sure that there's nothing wrong internally with the oiler. When I first purchased it I would be going through a tank of oil as quickly as gas. It's not doing that and there must be an issue

9. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I own a few Stihl saws from the 362 up to the 660 series. With the oiler maxed out none will empty the oil as fast as the gas. If the oiler is working you can see oil sling off the bar if you rev the saw and point the bar tip at a dry surface. I'm guessing you hit something in the tree ie nail, wire, and dulled the chain. Not a big deal but as soon as you note that the saw is not throwing nice full chips you should stop and sharpen the chain. The saw came with files and a guide if it was purchased new. Never saw with a sagged chain. If you have to push the saw through a cut something is wrong. A sharp saw will pull it self through a cut on its own. I would visit the dealer that sold that unit and have him give you the briefing / tutorial that they are supposed to with every piece of Stihl equipment they sell. Stihl is not a big box store brand and the dealer is there to serve you.

10. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

One more tip......a set of chaps and boots will set you back a couple hundred dollars. Guess what the SS bar holding my foot together set me back..... ; ) Safety gear is a must even for us "tough guys" that know better.

11. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

A proper chain saw should not get hot! Were you cutting a sappy wood like PINE. Pine really gums up the chain and can cause overheating issues. My bar also has grease holes at the front sprocket wheel which I grease often.

Once I adjust a chain it stays in adjustment.

YES One bad hit on a stone or nail dulls the chain instantly. A dull chain is dangerous!!

Steel toed boots are a must (KEEN Pittsburghs are my favorite).

Have it checked at a good saw shop.

12. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm taking this all in today to have it checked out.

Jason

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Insure

Take the side plate, chain, and bar off, and with plenty of oil in the oil tank, run the saw in that condition.

Careful of the rotating clutch assy., and the drive sprocket!

Let it idle, and while on the bench, you should notice plenty of oil coming out of the oil hole that lines up with the hole in the bar.

If not, oiler could have issues, or maybe the oiler pick-up is flipped up in the tank, and not sucking oil, or on older saws, maybe oil pick-up screen is clogged with sawdust?

There is another possibility.

Does the bar oil hole line up with the oil hole in the case of the saw? It's possible you could have the wrong bar/saw combination.

Also, when you have the bar off, always take something thin ( An old butter knife ground off to a blunt tip) ,and clean out the groove in the bar where the chain drive links run.

This is critical for proper oil delivery, as sawdust will really pack in this groove.

Good luck

If so equipped, lube the sprocket end of the bar, also.

Search tags for this page
ms362 review
stihl 362 problems
stihl 362 review
stihl 362 reviews
stihl chainsaw problems forum

stihl ms 362 problems

stihl ms 362 review
stihl ms362 review