1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CGSTA SHOOTERS SHOULD VOTE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Maybe the solution to the Western Zone Southern California controversy is to LET THE CGSTA REGISTERED SHOOTERS VOTE ON THEIR VENUE. Your opinions are welcomed. Fred Berson

2. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Probably a good idea Fred.... I also think that members from each Zone should vote in their Directors,( maybe 4 or 5 per Zone) on an annual basis at the State Shoot. Fewer Directors....more accountable to the membership = less politics and more progress.

Walt Hastings

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Excellent suggestion Mr. Berson and I totally agree with you Mr. Hastings. Both I'm guessing would require a by-laws change, no?

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Given some thought to the process. Each shooter from September to November gets to vote once at each shoot that they attend during this time frame. The shooters who shoot more will get a bigger say at where the WZ should be as they are the ones who probably will support it and know which clubs are throwing the best targets at this time. Non-shooters during this time will have no say in the venue. Of course, the clubs need to submit their applications as to wanting to host the zone shoot. Democratic and the most knowledgable will lead the rest of us. Fred Berson

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Wow! 254 people have read this and only three other opinions?? I have gotten several Private Messages and their opinions really should be expressed right here OR maybe shooters only want to "cry" and not control where they shoot. Fred

6. JES

JES Member

I have wondered why meetings could not be set up on the computer, we have meetings with our Florida office and other areas with out having to travel. In this day and age maybe it should be considered. I know 6 to 7 hours four times a year may not sound like much to some but with care giving, work and other obligations it would be hard. Just a thought.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Fred I certainly agree with you with one "adjustment"...I hardly shoot that much in ATA, therefore I would feel that my input as "now and again person" would not be as educated/wise/versed etc. So perhaps a cut-off to be eligible to vote, for example, having shot enough targets to make the state team in ANY venue, e.g. singles, handicap, doubles? I am not suggesting team members only to vote, only those shooters who have paid a minimum amount of "dues" via participation. Some kind of fair criteria could be set?

David Buchman

8. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Mr. Hastings,

Are changes to the Bylaws ultimately approved by the registered ATA shooters of California at the State Shoot "as recommended by the BOD" or only approved by the BOD of the CGSTA at a board meeting? I have never seen a copy of the CGSTA Bylaws, which is why I ask.

Would the current BOD even support a change to the way Directors are voted in? Seriously? We need new people (directors), but frankly, it takes an act of congress (or who you really know) to get your foot in the door.

My thoughts from the North - I am curious.

9. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Fred,

I like the idea of having a vote on where the WZ shoot is to be held. The only problem is the voters would need to know which clubs will be in the running prior to the vote, (which up until the latest hoopla that was dumped in our laps over Triple B being chosen by the Directors) was not known by anyone.

I think the people that shoot ATA a few times a year should be left out of the vote, and maybe make it dependent on having attended a minimum of 6 shoots in the previous year (or something on that order). The voting cards could be available when the shooters are signing up and paying for their shoots at the regular ATA events from September to November. It would give them something to do while their shoot papers are being filled out, and the shooters ATA score card would be the evidence whether they have had enough shoots during the prior year or not. Their ATA number would need to be put on the voting card to keep any vote ballot stuffing from happening.

This will keep all the politics out of the decision, and make the shoot be what the shooters want.

Great idea,

Kevin King

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

John, precisely why I asked the questions I did.

Bylaws are bylaws and as such are to be followed in the "best interest" of the shooters. Changes made thereto, should also be made in the "best interest" of the shooters, always.

(John, check your email).

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Kevin King's idea sounds very fair. I remember during my working days that we had to travel one day a month for a big meeting. We non-administrative types had no input whatsoever, about 100+ of us to four administrators,...so some of us were highly inconvenienced now and then. I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but it is always "nice" to have some input to the top tier.

12. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

browning: Changes can be made by the BOD, OR by the members..... Walt

13. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

John,

I wasn't questioning your record or anything else. I know you, I know how you feel about the shooters and what being a Director is about.

"In the best interest of the shooters," should be at the top of every director's list (and I know it is for a few). Personal issues should be left at the door, period.

That's my opinion...

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.