1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CG lawsuit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is the status of that CG lawsuit against a gun club and gun owners that Bob Lawless keeps bringing up.

I think he projected that all the people involved would have to pay out large damages to CG and that the gunclub would be sold for the damages that he projected to be found against the gun club.

Of course people were acting with the due dilligence required and in good faith and the gun club property belongs to the military so damages wont be happening

Last I knew CG had been admonished by the Judge in this case-

New Developments?

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Sounds like you have it all figured out already

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

How about the people who come on here blabbing and making a big deal about there CG blowing up. Where are they? For them having a lot to say before the law suit has brought silence from all of them hasn't it. Funny how it all works isn't it.

4. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Here is what I don't understand:

How does a gun with a good shell in it blow up? I can understand it happening with a defective shell.

Seems to me the shell is the problem not the gun. Just saying.

5. yansica1

yansica1 Member

Gene,

Are you saying that gun owners are above criticism, that they can never do wrong or that they should be allowed to say what they like regardless?

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

No Gene the issue is that a group of people published a false and inaccurate report and then chose to publish it on the internet which cost the maker sales and loss of revenue. Their reasons for doing that are subject to debate. When attempts by the firearms manufacturer to have the firearm tested by an independent lab were rebuffed or ignored it was requested that the false report be removed. When that failed a law suit was filed as a last resort.

I for one feel that CG showed far too much restraint. The fact that these folks went the extra step to publish the so called report to the world and then focus attention on it shows in my estimation malice but that will be for a judge to decide. The only real shame is that a shooter got injured and that his father has to live with wondering if he loaded the shell that caused it.

The only thing I see wrong with the suit is that each and every person who signed their name to that so called report was not on the list as litigants instead of the clubs BOD.

When and If the result of the Lawsuit become public I guess all of us will know.

--- Chip King ---

7. g7777777

yansica1 -- good question- yes in this situation and in most situations yes- that is what I am saying

Now one could devise some other situation where a gun owner's car hits a vehicle beloing to CG and the gunowner is clearly at fault for damages to CGs vehicle- but even then I dont think its wise for CG to sue a gun club or gun over.

Remember all the predictions of the club being shut down or some injunction?

It looks to me that even if CG wasnt a gun company that they have no basis for the law suit anyway.

The fact that CG has received no temporary relief should indicate that.

If you have a specific scenariou- doesnt have to be real but some fact set- I will give you thought on that but I am not going to say never- I just cant think of one and want you to tell me what it is and I will tell you if I agree to dont agree

thanks

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS Chip King- Remember the phrases of due dillegence and good faith. You will see them again.

BTW the club is not a news network- they dont publish anything on the internet- you need to contact a lawyer to explain that to you. Regardless- the club did nothing wrong.

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

Gene I am very familiar with the terms and the folks that wrote the report showed neither.

They used a supposed blowup in Ohio as a reference with a statement that there was no substantiating data and then said that was because trapshooters were a closed community and there were probably even more failures.

They published pictures of the Russ Roberts shotgun failure but chose not to include the fact that H.P. White found NO fault with the shotgun.

And the list goes on. Neither due diligence or good faith.

Then add in that one of the folks involved in the report was the owner of the destroyed gun AND the loader of the shell used and it smells worse yet. Especially if you want to set up to sue CG later.

--- Chip King ---

9. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

Give it up Gene....they are not biting today.

10. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Yes Gene, its finally been thrown out. Move on now.

11. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Yes, they all know. You are the last one to know. No Christmas cards this year. It cost $157 million to bring the lawsuit.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bob: Try being a bit kinder towards others.

"Gene the genius", and "an idiot" in another, come on... I believe that is name calling - stop!

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Our efficient and swift legal system can usually deal with such civil suite in 2-3 years. This could produce another thread in 2013.

Pat Ireland

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I love this site. You guys are awsome. Dave T.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

JoeE1 well tell me Joe if you don't give a hoot why do you open it. I know you just don't want to miss your opportunity to play hero. Go back to sleep Joe

Bob Lawless

16. g7777777

I just want to know the status-

I reread some of the original CG threads- I cant believe some of the comments that were made on there

. People with no legal background questioning the investigating officer or attorneys,

People with no engineering background questioning engineers,

People with no military background telling us all how the military operates.

Oh and the people that tell you how the Court runs and what it is going to do right away.

Then you have those predicting financial ruin for the BOD, the investigating team and that damages will be assessed against the value of the property--- lmao-

Funny.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pissing matches..

great to watch, as long as the winds blowing right...

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Courts will usually refuse to grant relief if the complaining party cannot show that they were damaged. In this case, it shouldn't be hard to show damage since CG shotguns were banned from the club for no good reason. For this reason, I doubt that the suit was "thrown out". The case may have been settled or withdrawn by the plaintiffs, but not "thrown out". I don't think most of the posters on this thread have really read the original thread.

19. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Uh-Oh, I think I feel a beer summit coming on! With David as the mediator...

20. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The case was only filed on September 28th, so it hasn't been long enough for anything of note to have happened.

It usually takes at least six months for any meaningful motions to be heard, and, in this case, I'd expect it to take a bit longer.

There will be at least a Motion To Dismiss and, if denied, a long period of relative silence while the Parties conduct discovery. Then Summary Judgment Motions, then (maybe) a trial.

Pat is right, 2-3 years to complete a civil case is about average.

Of course, they could settle the matter at any time.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.