1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CG HURTING MY FACE.......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brumfield_joe, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brumfield_joe

brumfield_joe TS Member

Okay, after 500 rounds this weekend I am giving up and looking for some suggestions on what to do....If I keep shooting this way my cheek will have a hole in it!! I really dont feel it when I am shooting until I notice the blood/skin on my comb and then I start lifting my head and then hear the famous word of LOST, so I have thought about using the Remington face saver, putting some mole skin on my comb, and have thought about just buying the CG soft comb.....anyone have any suggestions?

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Joe, vaseline helps---if you still have your P gun, try and compare the pitch. You may need to put some washers between the upper screw that holds your pad---this will give you some negative pitch.

Good luck

Phil Berkowitz

3. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

Try adding some length to the stock. Start with maybe a 1/2" and see if it still does it.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Joe I have a new tube of the face saver that you can have. Give me a call whenever.

Just an update I also have a couple of the black 1/4" thick tapered pitch changing buttplate spacers at the house that you are welcome to try as well since I don't need them.

--- Chip King ---

5. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

Joe - I have a CG also and found it necessary to change the pitch....as suggested by Phil.

Dennis Devault of Devault Industries is a well known stock maker and I would recommend you contact him to discuss the problem you're having. He is the most expert of anyone I've ever run across and he fixed my CG. The fact that he makes his living custom making gun stocks should tell you something. Dennis can be reached at his office in Canton, Ohio, at 330/456-6070.

Good luck

Jay Cutler (no one famous)

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Joe I updated my first post I have the spacers as well. Dennis would be a great source of info and if you decide to have stock work done he is one of the best.

--- Chip King ---

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The pitch is the first thing to look at. If the pad is not making even contact with your whole shoulder pocket, the gun will try to rotate around the point with the most pressure. Usually this is due to not enough pitch. However, Caesar Guerini trap guns usually come with about 4° of pitch.

I think the tapered spacers are the first, best option for the moment.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sell it and buy a gun that likes you. HMB

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Pitch, take Chip up on his offer.

Don

10. Sport-Trap

Sport-Trap Member

sell it...

11. twopipe

twopipe Member

It's the extreme cast, sell it, I sold mine for the same reason. Berettas did the same thing to me. Sold them too. I have 2 Perazzis with neutral stocks, (no cast) a joy to shoot. I even went back to 1-1/8 oz loads, after years of 1 oz because of face slap !

12. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Suggest you get the gun professionally fitted to you. I have a CG and it is fitted correctly and I don't even have a recoil. Forget pitch, palm and vaseline. That's a Band Aid to your problem. Good luck.

blade819

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

My CG and my Beretta all kicked my face. My K-80 never has a hint of face kick with the heaviest of loads. It all comes down to the gun not fitting you properly. You have 3 choices, sale it, get stock that fits you mounted to it, or just live with it.

14. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Re-evaluate why you have it. If it beats you up, it surely must be no fun so get rid of it. However, if you are committed to it for whatever reason, then you need the advice from a professional like DeVault -- with no disrespect to the fellas here.

,,and this is from a guy who has three guerini's (unsingle combo, 28 GA sporting, and impact). BTW, I keep a Joel Etchen combo though i can't hit a box of clays with it unless I swing it like a bat...but i keep it cause it was a gift from my wife.

15. brumfield_joe

brumfield_joe TS Member

Thanks for the input, however I am not going to sell the gun, I just got it a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! Every gun I've shot has done this to me, but I have just dealt with it. I am going to take chip up on his offer and try the pitch spacers and see if that helps.

16. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

There are reasons for everything; adjustable ribs, combs, recoil pads and triggers. Why? because we're not all built alike, what works for you won't me or someone else.

As trap guns evolved manufacturers have added more and more adjustments to fullfill the needs of most shoters. Some companies have supplied it all and some have stopped short of supplying everything. My problem is pitch and toe, this is where an adjustable recoil pad comes in to solve my fitting problem. I'd rather spend less than a hundred dollars on an adjustable pad to correct some comfort issues than spend thousands on a custom stock that in the end may not work long term.

I have three Guerini's all have padded combs, I like the comfort they provide. Guerini's are great guns and point like a lazer. Get a padded comb and an adjustable pad and enjoy what is a really nice gun...............

Surfer

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Is your comb parallel with your rib? I could shoot a thousand handicap loads through mine with no facial abuse whatsoever.

18. xxstr8jacketxx

xxstr8jacketxx TS Member

hey joe :) here is a pic of you it seems to me you LOP is short causeing you to ride up on the cheek alittle and the point is rubbing you raw. just a thought tho
    thanx ~jason~

xxstr8jacketxx_2011_110459.jpg

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The main thing is that if you can't solve the problem pretty quickly, stop shooting the gun. You will do damage to your cheek that will stay with you your whole life and could cause serious problems.

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Holy crap!! that's way short, even by Kay O. standards!!!..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgn comb is rubbing my face raw