1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CG, Convert sporting to trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jimrich60, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Do not know of any source for extra barrels for the CG outside of CG itself, though you might "advertise" here on the forum to see if anyone might have a set of barrels they would sell. Cost of barrels is likely to be quite expensive however (a set of Beretta 682 barrels, for instance can run around $1800 and CG is likely to cost more). In addition, almost all break action shotgun barrels would require a good gunsmith to fit the barrels to the action, and this would likely cost several hundred dollars just for the fitting. Proper fitting is essential, not only to ensure proper headspace/safety, but the foreend iron, ejectors, etc have to be properly timed to work with a given barrel, and this is part of the fitting process.

Overall, it would be likely be far more econonical in the long run to start with a proper trap gun, and simply use that for sporting clays. This can best be done by buying a trap combo, with a good single barrel for trap singles, and a set of o/u barrels for trap doubles, which could also be used (with a change of chokes, and possibly comb changes) for sporting clays. I see this being done quite a bit lately. In fact, CG itself has a new model out that it advertises as being a trap/skeet/sporting clays gun in this newly accepted mode.

Jim R

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Suggest that you sell the SG and buy a decent trap gun. You will be happier.

TB

3. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

ATA Trap guns are the most specialized of the shotgun clay sport guns.

A gun suitable for sporting clays would serve well as a skeet gun, and as a bunker trap gun (rarely shot in the US, unfortunately). But for a variety of reasons, a sporting clays gun would be a real compromise as an ATA trap gun.

I agree with TBaber, if you are going to shoot ATA trap with any seriousness, get a trap gun.

bluedsteel

4. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Almost all sporting guns are designed to shoot flat and aren't very good for serious ATA trap shooting. CG sells a new all-around model called the Impact. It has an adjustable rib on the O/U and is available with an unsingle for trap.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I own 3 CG guns. Sporting and trap. To make your sporting gun to a trap gun will not worth it. On less you want to have both type of guns.

A stock could be $1500 to $2000 barrles are $2200 each for a O/U , Top single or Unsingle. Plus shipping and fitting.

I would just get trap gun and be done with it.

6. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Over the past 18 months, I have bought and sold several CG SGs. And from watching TS and GB during that time, it appears that used Guerini Summit Trap guns go for $3200 to $4400 depending on condition and seller motivation. I have seen Summit Sportings (.733 backbored/mixischokes) from 2000 to about 3000 depending on condition and seller motivation. Barrels and stocks are best purchased directly from CG since they can fit the parts together. Their customer service, warranty work and custom work are all excellent as many CG owners will attest.

While the parts can be interchanged, the CG trap stock dimensions/angles are significantly different than the sporting stocks. Putting a sporting barrel on a trap stock may work though the primary value of the trap barrels is their adjustable POI. Putting raised trap barrels on a sporting stock will significantly change the sight window and you may not even be able see over the raised rib. Putting them together without a competent and experienced gunsmith is asking for trouble.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Depends on his POI for both trap and sporting. I shoot a P-gun with a sporting flat rib for sporting clays, but also can shoot the same gun for singles and doubles by adding 1/8" to the comb.

Depends on his required POI, and how high the gun shoots. It is as simple as that.

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If budget is a concern as it is with most and you still wish have a sporting gun, I would consider a detachable higher rib in conjunction with a adjustable comb attached to your Guerini. I'm assuming you are happy with this gun and no reason to sell it and take a loss if it can be used for trap.

The only completely detachable rib I know of is Bridge Shoot which you may view at www.bridgeshoot.com These ribs are available in a number of configurations from short to long and low to high and may be purchased as an adjustable which allows changing your point of impact to match your point of aim.

An adjustable Bridge Shoot rib coupled with an adjustable comb will allow you to dial your gun in for trap and may be converted back to sporting configuration in a matter of minutes by loosening the rib clamps, detaching the rib and lowering the comb. This whole setup should cost well under a thousand dollars, less than the hit you will take selling your Guerini Tron, Rod's Custom are a couple of sources for the comb. You may consider this approach in lieu selling or trading off a very,very good gun.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cg trap program

can i convert my skeet gun to a trap gun

can you use cgnsummit sporting for trap

cg summit limited sport with adjustable comb

trap cg